Do I need to have a sim card to activate my iPhone 6s Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsquare, Jan 19, 2016.

1. lsquare macrumors 6502

Right now my main phone is the Google Nexus 5. It uses a micro-SIM card. I just bought the IP6S+. I have been very busy with work and haven't had time to go out and get a nano sim card. I opened the packaging and turned on the phone, but it won't let me get to the home screen. Is there any other way or I'll need to have a sim card inside in order to activate the phone and get to the home screen?

2. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Yeah I believe so. The first smartphone that doesn't function as one out of the box without a SIM.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

As the post above states, you need a SIM. It doesn't even need to be an active SIM, but you need one.

4. lsquare thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't have to be active? I have been very busy lately and I still haven't found the time to go and pick up a SIM. I should have time tomorrow evening, but right now I want to make the transition from my Nexus 5 slowly. My Nexus 5 is already properly configured for my day to day usage. Since I can't easily switch the SIM from phone to phone due to the size difference, are you sure I can stick an inactivated SIM into my IP6S+ and then activate the iPhone?

5. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Not sure about the inactive sim but you can cut your micro sim down to a nano sim yourself in the meantime until you get a chance to get a new sim.

6. yvoko, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

yvoko macrumors newbie

yvoko

I had the same problem, but I used a good nail file instead. First you measure the card and draw precise lines with permanent marker on the sim card so as to know exactly how much material to remove. Then file away! It's much safer than scissors.