do i need to have actual upgrading phone to get new iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mefromfl, Sep 24, 2012.

1. mefromfl macrumors newbie

I'm planning to get iphone 5 tomorrow, but have my wife pick it up. The line i want upgraded is mine but i won't be there, the account is under her name, can she upgrade my line without my phone being there and get a new phone?

2. thaghost macrumors 6502

it doesn't matter if your phone is with you or not. Are you the primary on the account? If so, I don't think she can do it without you there.

3. jgag macrumors member

4. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Yes, but your phone will become deactivated once the new phone is activated.

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

It is best to have your phone turned off so it does not interfere with the new phone activating.

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yes if she is the primary they will let her update, the phone doesn't need to be there. But someone was correct, they may force activation at time of sale which will cause your current phone to become useless. (unless all you want to do is call emergency number)

Been my experience that on or off, the old phone has no bearing on the situation.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

What? Whenever I upgraded to the 4, I left my old phone on, so I'd know when the activation went into effect. You can keep your phone on.

8. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I dont think this is necessary. When I bought my iP5, the AT&T rep said it could take an hour or more for it to activate and that the old phone would continue to work until then. It only took about 30 seconds. I watched the 5 activate, and seconds later the 4s went No service.

While I was there, I picked up a micro sim for another line. When activating that, the same rep informed me the phone currently being used would deactivate.