Do I need to have my rMBP inspected in-store to authorize AppleCare?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Looking to pick up AppleCare sometime in the next year to extend my warranty. Do I have to bring it in-store first for them to verify condition?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Looking to pick up AppleCare sometime in the next year to extend my warranty. Do I have to bring it in-store first for them to verify condition?

Thanks.
No. They do not need to inspect it. As long as your Mac is still covered by the original 1 year warranty, you can buy AppleCare.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
No. They do not need to inspect it. As long as your Mac is still covered by the original 1 year warranty, you can buy AppleCare.
Thank you.

I'm positive I'd heard something with regard to AppleCare and having your computer inspected. Maybe that was an iPad or iPhone policy.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Thank you.

I'm positive I'd heard something with regard to AppleCare and having your computer inspected. Maybe that was an iPad or iPhone policy.
Correct, you have to have your i-device inspected if you want to buy Applecare+ and extend the coverage of your original warranty.

They do this because AppleCare+ actually covers accidental damage, with a deductible, of course. If they allowed you to buy it without the inspection, unscrupulous people could buy the Applecare+ after they damaged their phone in order to get it repaired for less.