Do I need to remove the SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 11, 2011.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I want to switch from Verizon back to AT&T. So I'm going to need to return my Verizon iPhone 4S. I know I'll want to do a "Erase All Content and Settings" before I return the phone. What about the SIM card - do I need to remove that?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If your iPhone is on Verizon, then that SIM card is inactive, so it doesn't really matter.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I concur.

They will disable the sim locking out any info on it.

4. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

The Verizon service agreement says I need to return the iPhone before I terminate the service. Do you know if I can just terminate the Verizon service at the Apple Store while I return the phone? Otherwise maybe I should remove the SIM card, since there will be a window of time between returning the phone and being able to call Verizon to terminate the service.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

But Verizon doesn't use SIM cards, only AT&T does (and T-Mobile), so that SIM card is inactive and when you go with AT&T, they will prove you a new SIM card anyways.

6. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

7. SporkLover macrumors 6502

The only way Verizon uses sims is if the phone is a global phone (which the VZW iP4S is), and is used to roam on international GSM networks.

Personally, I would just keep the sim. Those are items that VZW and Sprint throw away on returns anywho.

8. mtgfreal macrumors newbie

You gotta return your phone to the place you bought the phone. I bought my att 4s at a authorized reseller and i went to a original ATT store to return the 4s cuz i wasnt satisfied with service.. So they told me I had to go to the place I bought it from to return it and pay the place I got it from the restocking fee.

After that I went to an Apple store to pick up and activate verizon 4s and I asked him if I wasn't satisfied, do I come back to the Apple store to return or can I go to a Verizon store. He said that I had to come back to the Apple store.

And you return the phone first then cancel if you do vice versa they charge you the ETF.

Hope that helps.

9. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

You sure about that? I've only got one more day to cancel Verizon service without the termination fee. But to ship the iPhone back to apple.com will take more than a day! They told me I can't return it to a store, I have to ship it back.

10. mtgfreal macrumors newbie

Well I was porting my number and they say if I port the number to verizon first before giving back the phone i get charged the ETF. Thats what ATT told me when I went to talk to them. Maybe you can call Verizon and apple to see what you can do.