Do I need to unscrew the old plate of the hard drive onto my new one?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacBox360, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MacBox360 macrumors newbie

I have a Hitachi 120GB hard drive which I know is small today, but when I bought it 160GB 5400RPM was one of the highest. I'm replacing a 60GB, but the MacInstruct guide says I need to screw the silver back of the old one onto the new one. Do I have to? Because I saw a guide where they didn't do that.

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

shrugs -- i just always plug in the cables, set the jumpers (or not), and roll

the only screwing in and out of plates of i have done were plates that hold the actual hard drive in place is it doesn't shift in transit.

otherwise -- "shrug"

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The MacBook hard drive has a back plate with a pull tab on it. That's the one you're talking about right?

4. MacBox360 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. I installed it without the back plate though and it's working now, but will it damage my computer or something?

ALSO, i'm in a terrible situation. I just found out that SOMEHOW my hard drive has 2 partitions on it, one for 64GB and another for 48GB. Is there any way to merge these two together? I don't care if I lose data because I just re-installed Mac OSX anyways... but dont know where it is

5. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If it's Leopard, just open disk utility and move over to the partitions tab... it should be fairly self explanatory. As for installing the hard drive without the carrier attached, I would recommend that you find that and put it on the hard drive as it helps protect against bumps and damage to the connector (because right now without the carrier attached it's just more or less flopping around inside the MacBook.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wonder how you'll remove the hard drive without the black plate and its pull tab. :eek: