Do I really have to drain the battery to about 50% every 2-3 days?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Nov 16, 2010.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I recall reading that if I keep my MBP plugged to the wall all the time ( I do), I should drain the battery to about 50% every 2-3 days, to keep the battery's juices flowing.

Personally I don't have the patience to do this all the time. Is this step really that important?

What are your thoughts?

2. smc333 macrumors regular

I give my 13" a good drain to ~10% every month or so. Other than that, I just try to drain it to 40% or lower once a week, and my battery life has still been 10+ hours after 30 cycles.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I know, (that's where I read it from). But how important is it to do that? What do YOU think?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes you should use your battery ... it is the best way to maintain your battery health.

Leaving your battery plugged in constantly will have negative effects over the long haul.

try not to think of it as such a chore. :cool:

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

When people worry about batteries they usually don't take into account...

...that battery care is an inexact science,
    ...that you most likely won't have to have your battery replaced before you buy a new machine,
    ...that by "maintaining" your battery you might extend its life, but you have no way to know by how much,
    ...that even if your battery fails from not being "maintained" properly, you probably have no need for a 8+ hour battery in the first place.

YMMV. Worrying about batteries is pointless.

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

If you drain the system once a month, you will already be doing better than most people with Laptops.

Seriously, some people get a laptop, plug it in, and leave it plugged in for years. Then one day, they wonder why they can't get more than 5 minutes of charge when they do try to go portable with it.

7. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Nope.

I usually have my MBP hooked up to the wall, almost constantly for the 21 months I've had it.

My battery capacity per CoconutBattery (commonly used on this forum) is still nearly the same as when I got the computer.

13060 mAh compared to the most recent 13018 mAh...

Also as far as real world performance, I still get the full 8 hours out of my battery. (Power settings permitting)

8. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

CoconutBattery could be reporting an inaccurate or WRONG amount since you leave your system plugged in all the time.

Run it down to 0%, charge it back to 100%.
    Run it down to 0% again, and back to 100% again.

There is a chance that your capacity may drop a bit since you've left it plugged in continuously and haven't conditioned/calibrated (ever).

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not how to calibrate. Read the FAQ link that spinnerlys posted for the accurate method.

10. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

When in doubt... read the directions... then follow the directions...

Works every time...:D

11. vant macrumors 65816

Best way to save your battery?

JUST USE IT WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT IT.

Thats the way Apple designed it to be.

12. carlyinoz macrumors member

I don't understand the logic behind buying a macbook and keeping it plugged in 24/7... why not just buy an iMac? My battery is continually drained & charged because I use it almost exclusively as a laptop ... although I'll admit all the battery talk gets me a little freaked out about the number of charge cycles I'm already at, given I've had mine for not quite a month ;)

13. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Apparently it's necessary to post this quote from Apple's website, despite the links provided over and over again:

Hope this answers the question.

14. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I unplug my MBP from the wall, and then just let it sleep for 2-3 days (1% of battery drain per hour), does that count too? , Or do I have to drain it to 50% WHILE I'm using it, or even a bit of both? Does it matter?

15. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Read post 3.

16. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hehe, if you have it plugged into the wall all the time and never use the battery:

1. You don't really need a laptop :p

2. Why do you need good battery life if its always plugged into the wall:D

17. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought a laptop because I don't have a lot of space.
    What do you think about draining the battery while my MBP is in sleep?

18. GGJstudios, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's really not that complicated. While you're working on your MBP, just reach up and unplug the MagSafe adapter from the MBP, leaving the other end plugged into the wall. After a few hours, plug it back in. It's so simple, even a cave man can do it! You can even set a reminder in iCal, if you have a hard time remembering.

19. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure, no problem!, then that means I have to drain it WHILE using it. (I'm a caveman btw) ;)

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congratulations! That means you can do it! Problem solved! :D

21. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Up until now I would just drain it from sleep, guess I was doing something wrong.

22. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry to keep asking this over and over, but I really need to know...

When I drain my battery to about 50% does it have to be WHILE using it, or can I drain it by having my MBP in sleep about 2 days? other than that, problem solved.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

YES! Drain it while you use it! PLEASE read the link in post #3! How many times do we have to answer the same question before you get it?

24. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a