Do i sell my iMac and Macbook to buy MacBook PRO??? advise please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kid rock, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kid rock macrumors regular

Hi guys,

need some advice, i have the following Macs:

1) G5 imac 2.1 GHZ with 2.5 GB ram and 640GB Western Digital Caviar black HDD (is one of the last power PC imacs made, i bought this just before the new intel ones came out) have the restore disks and keyboard and mighty mouse also have restore disks (tiger) but do not have box :(

2) 2.0GHZ Core2Duo Macbook £699 model at the time (bought in February of this year so still under warrenty) upgraded to 4GB RAM and 250GB Western Digital HDD (still have original HDD and RAM) and have box and restore disks

Both are in mint condition with the exception of macbook which has a small dent about 3mm accross and less than 1/2mm deep on the right hand side next to keyboard.

Now i have decided to sell both, get as much money as possible and try to get a Macbook PRO 15" that i can use as my main desk computer (connected up to external keyboard/Mouse and monitor, that i already have and use on my PC so can share them)

id like to do this to have somthing a bit more powerful whilst at work and at home that can do everything i need it to; encode movies, edit photos have all my music ETC with me

does this sound like a wise decision? if not why? (all advice welcome)

If this does sound like a good idea how much do you reckon i would get for each if selling on ebay? i have a couple of bits to go with the macbook; DVi adaptor and incase sleeve.

thanks in advance for your help guys! :D

Simon

P.S i aunderstand that i wont have enought money to buy a Macbook Pro outright but i will add in the extra money needed

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd say you would be getting an upgrade, the MBP has better graphics than either the MB or iMac. Consolidating everything onto one computer is a good idea. The MBP has a faster and newer processor, more L2 cache, bigger ram (up to 6Gb unofficially).

3. kid rock thread starter macrumors regular

4. kid rock thread starter macrumors regular

5. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Go for it :)

As I keep saying though, only you can know. A bunch of strangers on the internet won't know your exact situation, and what suits them might well not suit you.

The macbook pro will do most things, though.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, go for it. The MBP is a terrific computer, fast, powerful, great performance, attractive aesthetic, and a superb screen; I have one and I'm very happy with it - at present, it is my only computer and does everything I ask of it easily and effortlessly. I may, in time, supplement it with a MBA, as I travel a lot, but for a sole working notebook computer which does everything, the MBP cannot be beaten.

Cheers and good luck

7. kid rock thread starter macrumors regular

right well my macbook sold on ebay within 2 hours of putting it up there, now just need to sell my imac and then ill be on my way to getting my new MBP!

thanks for your help guys!!

Simon