Do I still need an xbox since I already have rMBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Jan 1, 2013.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

I can use my rMBP for some casual gaming already. Im thinking of spending some money to get an xbox now, it's only $199... But then again, I might just wait til the new xbox 720 comes out..

2. 184550 Guest

You're comparing two completely different products.

3. iDabble macrumors regular

i find that since getting my rMBP, my xbox use has gone down but my toast consumption has gone up. my advice - invest in a toaster

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Is playing Halo 4 worth $200 + game cost?

There's not that many games that aren't available on PC, but are available for XBox. And your RMBP will play any compatible game far better than an XBOX anyway.

5. dinggus macrumors 65816

Are you being sarcastic?

6. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

I play a lot of games at high settings (sometimes full res) with the 360 controller, essentially getting the Xbox experience with better graphics.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

No...

About which part???

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Depends.

Do you plan to play with friends on who already have an Xbox on Xbox Live?
    Do you plan to play Xbox-exclusive games (Halo, Gears of War, Forza...)
    Do you plan to use the Xbox for other purposes like Kinect, DVD playback, Netflix streaming?

If you answer no to all of those, just buy an Xbox 360 controller to use with your rMBP and Boot Camp, the rMBP is graphically more powerful than an Xbox 360 anyway.

9. dinggus macrumors 65816

What games play better on a MBP than xbox? I'm not saying it's not true, just never heard of this. Just trying to learn something new.

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

AFAIK, all the ones that are on both.

Most games on Xbox 360 run at 720p (or less) with no antialiasing at around 30FPS (with some exceptions).

A rMBP running a game that's also on Xbox 360 with similar resolution and graphics settings will hit more around 150-200 FPS.

Of course since this framerate is overkill, one would probably like better to turn up the resolution or graphics settings.

Either way the rMBP will perform better.

11. njean777 macrumors 6502

depends on if you want to play Xbox exclusives, if not, then wait for the next xbox as it most likely will be announced at e3.

12. Valkyre macrumors 6502

Ιf you have asked about a ps3 + rmbp combo I would have said yes, you could need a ps3. And that is because PS3 has a lot of console exclusive games of very high quality.

Most xbox360 games are already on pc available.

So i say no, you dont need a 360 if you have a rmbp. But it would not hurt to have a ps3 around so you can play 99% of the games that are available out there.

Personally I own a rmbp and a 360 and a ps3, and i believe that the best combo available at the moment is a gaming computer + a PS3.

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah rMBP runs games better than consoles :rolleyes:

You are comparing a COMPUTER and a GAMING CONSOLE.

Mac is not as high spec as gaming computer.
    It cant run a lot of games in high setting still.
    However, consoles can. Why? Because they were made to run games.
    If you are desperate to play games, build or buy a gaming computer.

14. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

It really depends on what you want to play!

At the same time it's not true that all great 360 games are on pc! Gears 2 and 3, red dead redemption, tales of vesperia, bayonetta, splosion man, Mgs hd, forza, Rez hd, crackdown, viva piñata, halo 3/odst/4/reach, castlevania, enslaved, dust an Elysian tale, halo 1 anniversary edition, ninja gaiden, final fantasy, and lots of other obscure Japanese and indie download titles!

This year will also see games like metal gear revengeance, metal gear ground zeroes, devils third, gears of war judgment, remember me, naruto uns3, anarchy reigns, dragons dogma da, edge of twilight. GTA5 is the biggest release left in 360s life, it's not announced for Er på vej! Yet but when it comes the port will mostlikelybe laggy just like SA and 4 was!

350 is one its way out but it makes sense to Jump in because of 7 years of great cheap hardcore games. Most multi platform games run a lot better on 360! To me Xbox live is good but it's full of snotty little attention seeking kids who are not fun to play with! The experience I get playing a pc online experience like guild wars 2, Dota 2 or planet side 2 is the best

15. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

16. leman macrumors 604

The rMBP is around 4 to 5 times faster than a gaming console, hardware-wise.

17. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

18. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Play bf3 on an Xbox then play it on a rmbp then report back.

----------

It's kind of hard to lug around a tv and a console. I'd rather carry around a rmbp for casual gaming.

A gaming console is a computer.

19. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Hardware wise yes.
    Its a computer vs a game console.
    But when it comes to compatibility with video games, consoles win.
    Why? because thats what they were made for.
    Nothing else but game.

20. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Lots of console games have framerate dips that make them borderline playable , because they are horrible limited due to vRam (particularly PS3). That's why GTA4, Skyrim and so on have horrible framerates once stuff start heating up.

What consoles are, are budget friendly gaming entries. A real gaming PC that will run you 2560x1600 high fidelity gaming is an investment of 1000-15000 dollars, and much more if you go for buying a dedicated botique brand like Eurocom, Alienware, Maingear, and so on.
    A console is a 200-500 dollars compromise, that runs on it's legs due to - as you said - having games tuned specifically for that hardware.

But what does that really mean? settings you can't alter, closed platforms, developers who have to run through heaps and loops to just have a patch released.

Take a game like Skyrim, Team Fortress 2(completely free on PC!), Battlefield 3 or something like that, and watch the difference in quality. To me the console experience is horrondous due excessive hardware compromises.

This is not just modern games. Even a game like Oblivion (2005) showed extreme fatigue due to visual compromise, crappy loading times and so on. Console peasants like to talk a tough game, but it's really just complete and utter ignorance.
    It's fine to play console games if you dig the styles of experiences they can bring, like local multiplayer, sports, party, racing, fighting, obscure japanese and so on. But to claim that they are somehow superior to a gaming pc, with a 250-350 dollars graphics card is absurd.

This is devils advocate talk, but if you take Crysis, a game released in 2007, there is nothing on consoles that can replicate it. It's not just the visuals, but the seamless size of the levels. Crysis is massive, and it's amazing for having an engine that can handle so much AI, geometry, amount of objects and render all this with impressive filters, motion blur and advanced lighting effects.
    So if a 5 year old PC game can not be imagined on consoles without compromises, you got your answer.

WITH THAT SAID, Consoles have beautiful games. Uncharted, and Gears of War are series with impressive visuals, but even these come with compromises like small-medium sized levels followed by encounters with few enemies. For these machines with such limited vRam and underpowered GPUs (particularly PS3, that splits in Vram in two) having "good graphics" means toning down the content in other areas.
    This might be why AI has not advanced in a long time.

TL;DR - You buy a console for the games, not the hardware. they are incredible inferior, closed platforms that gain revenue from people why don't know any better (like paying for a p2p service...). Consoles are great for their games, not their hardware.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd get an Xbox for Kinect.

These two products are complementary.

22. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im comparing Consoles to his rMBP.
    I have a higher spec gaming PC for little over 2000.
    Neither PS3 nor Xbox can beat that.
    But considering what the rMBP can play, buy a console.

Id rather run BF3 on PS3 than on rMBP with medium settings.

Thank you for the essay though.

23. leman macrumors 604

You seem to have some reading problems :rolleyes: Once again: the rMBP will play BF3 on higher settings, higher resolution and with smoother gameplay than your Xbox ever could. If you prefer consoles, that's fine. But that does not change the facts.

24. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Why would you rather play bf3 on a console then a rmbp?

25. bushido Suspended

bushido

i have both but i never play on my mac. mostly bc i hate how hot it gets and bc i dont like playing with a keyboard and mouse in general

also hate fiddling around with settings. id take plug and play on my xbox over this every day