Do I wait for a new iMac and MacBook pro to be released or buy now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by marshy01, Feb 22, 2012.

1. marshy01, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

marshy01 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Looking at getting one of each of these as my pc and laptop have just about given up on life. Always had pc's and laptops in the past but got an iPhone and iPad and never once had a problem which is why I want to now swap over.
    I'm looking at the 27" iMac and 15" pro
    But I'm wondering is it worth waiting for the new versions(whenever there released?) or just to get it now?

The mrs has joined a college course so apple have said I can get 6-8% off each.

Is there any better deals anyone knows of?

Thanks in advance

2. jvpython macrumors 6502

You want to get both a 27" iMac and Macbook Pro 15" at the same time?
    I'd definitely wait for the new iMacs but for the Macbook Pro the last update wasn't so long ago and they have very good up to date specs.

Cyril

3. marshy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well my pc has broke and laptop is firing aswell so they both need replacing.
    I do a lot of work on the pc at home so I can just airdrop certain files over to the laptop when I need to be in the office.

4. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

In what way are they broken?

5. marshy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

The laptop is about 7 years old and just getting too slow and battery life has pretty stopped unless its plugged in constantly. I have previously put new memory etc in.
    The pc motherboard has gone twice, the screen has lines giong through it, just all round slow.
    Want to upgrade as i hear viruses are pretty nonexistent on macs and never heard anyone slate them

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X viruses are non-existent. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    To get good prices, also take a look at Apple Certified Refurbished Products which are available at the Apple Refurb Store

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

7. marshy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Changed the title now, thanks :)
    That's good to hear that other people have found that with the viruses.

8. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

"In the wild" viruses on the Mac require you to grant them your username and password, so just use common sense when using your Mac. The only antivirus I would recommend is ClamXav. It's free and doesn't run in the background, it just runs manually. You can use it to scan for PC viruses so you don't send your buddies some unfortunate malware.

9. simsaladimbamba

I guess you mean trojans or other malware besides viruses, as viruses don't need that much user interaction, otherwise there would be even less viruses for Windows.

10. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

That's incorrect. They don't need user interaction on Windows, they do on Macs. And don't nitpick my use of the word "viruses". I also later used malware, which encompasses everything. I was simply making a general point. There aren't any "malware" on the Mac that can currently bypass the root level verification without first getting rights from the end user. Having said that, it's still important to use common sense as these malware coders are getting smarter and disguising their malicious software as legitimate software, making the end user more inclined to freely type in their admin info.

11. simsaladimbamba

If you say so. A virus is still just a type of malware, but whatever you say, I am tired of this **** anyway.

12. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Sounds like you shouldn't have commented in the first place. Maybe go have some hot cocoa and get yourself in a better mood.

13. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, I shouldn't have corrected you on your usage of "virus". Sorry, though I prefer fish tea.

14. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

*pat, pat*

Go have your tea then.

Maybe read up on how malware executes in OS X.

15. simsaladimbamba

Really?

Ah, anonymity is wonderful, isn't it? We can bicker and bicker and throw useless words at each other without any real consequences. Now if this weren't a stupid PG-13 forum ...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Viruses can infect with no user intervention at all. That's part of what distinguishes them from other forms of malware. There are Mac trojans that can be installed without requiring the user to enter their admin password.
    Malware characteristics are the same, regardless of the OS involved. Viruses require no user interaction on any OS. Trojans require the user to install them on any OS. I will "nitpick" the proper terminology, since our role is to educate, inform and assist those who come here looking for help. It is confusing and/or misleading to continue perpetuating the false assumption that any malware is a virus.
    But there are trojans that can be installed without requiring the admin password. The requirement of the admin password is not a criteria for defining a trojan.

17. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Touché.

18. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Buy now. I have both of the current versions and love them both. they are awesome machines, and I am a huge fan of buying when you need them. You can play the waiting forever and never end up happy there is always going to be something better on the horizon. I love my iMac its a great machine and works flawlessly with my MBP, AirDrop is the single best feature that there is. It is so simple to transfer files between the two, you just literally drag and drop.

19. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

A good rule is to buy only if you need one and wait if you can. The new processors will probably make more difference for 13" MacBook Pros and the Airs than larger Pros and iMacs. And buy them as refurbs for the best deals -- buy Applecare from the Educational site since you qualify. And if you have a Discover credit card you can get an additional 5% cash back.

I was planning on buying a 15" MBP to replace my 13" Aluminum MB when the new ones come out, however my daughter's 13" white MB is starting to fall apart so I've just ordered a 15" MBP refurb and will be giving my 13" MB to her.

20. marshy01 thread starter macrumors newbie

judging by the buyers guide they wont be updating the mcbook pro for a while so am i assuming they wont be upgrading that this year?
    Think i will hold off on the imac as that looks to be being improved in the next couple of months???

21. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Wait for both... if only to see GPU upgrades on the iMac and Ivy Bridge will help out in the mobile sector a bit more (cooling and battery life).

I have no need to replace my iMac but if I was buying now, there's no sense in not waiting a few months.

22. Bear macrumors G3

The buyers guide is only an average. And you will see MacBook Pro updates this year. Possibly as soon as shortly after the mobile IvyBridge chips are released.

And the iMac is probably in the 2 to 4 month range depending on Intel.