Do I wait or do I spend?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jeef, Sep 4, 2004.

  1. Jeef macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2004
    Hey, Im new to the whole Apple scene and I had a few questions on the future of Apple.Im a 16 year old attending "College" (running start...take community college course's get high school and college credits with out tuition). I need a new piece of hardware. After my PC being to slow,dificult and tedious to repair ive decide im going to try Apple. I need an Apple thats 1600$ or below.SO FAR my max options are a 1.33 ghz Powerbook g4 12 inch combo drive or a 1.8 ghz imac g5 17 inch. Now heres my beefs. First, Im not happy about the Geforce FX 5200 they put in the new Imac.Do you think they will release an iMac g5 with an upgraded video card anytime soon? Second, I heard that the Powerbook will not come our with a g5 at least until 2005,so are they planning an update of the powerbook with in the next couple of monthes?

  2. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    I would be surprised if there are any updates to the iMac line in the next five to six months. Perhaps longer if they sell well. As far as PBs are concerned it is hard to say for sure. Past trends would suggest, but not guarantee that we'll see an update to them this fall. However, the consensus seems to be that if we have updates this year, they'll be speed bump type stuff. Any major changes such as dual core G4 or G5s will more than likely be next year. Good luck.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a


    Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    honestly (with the exception of 'motion' and like 3 video games) Macs games or programs aren't intensive enough for a better card.
  4. Jeef thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2004
    Im definetly going to wait for the imac review.

    I dont start class until oct. first so i won't be in dire need until then but Im hoping i can get a clear idea of when the updates for the powerbook and imac will be if any.
  5. vita_kk macrumors newbie


    Aug 4, 2004
    Remember to use your education discount to buy the hardware, this can save you quite some $$$.
  6. Jeef thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2004
    yeah i should have looked deeper in the posts for answers on my questions. :) .
  7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

    Apr 28, 2004
    i dont see an update to the pbook or imac lines until the earliest Jan 2005, which will probably be the pbook, and april will see a revised imac.

    the pbook line is a pretty big hit at the moment, they are in no rush to switch to the next hardware generation, and aren't even technically capable of doing so currently if they wanted to.

    the imac's were just ANNOUNCED...they aren't even shipping yet are they?
  8. alexf macrumors 6502a


    Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Go for the new iMac.

    This is what I would do in your position...
  9. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    If you are in real need of a new computer now, then the new iMac would be a great purchase. The educational discount will be a help. Waiting for updates can be a long process.

Share This Page