Resolved Do iPad Air users feel tired after holding it single handed for awhile?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I felt uncomfortable using my relative's iPad 2. I felt like the iPad were pressing my fingers while I was holding it for a short period of time (a few minutes) single handed. Do iPad Air users have similar issue? I wonder if it was due to improper way of holding the device.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Maybe just the tiniest bit of fatigue after holding it one handed for long periods. It's not as comfortable as holding the mini one handed (I can do that indefinitely). But, it's pretty close and is a vast improvement over older iPad models. You will definitely notice a difference coming from even an iPad 2 (which was the lightest of the legacy iPad models).

Jerzup

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
Gotta to work those forearms boys.

This thing is incredibly light and I can hold this one handed 24/7.

KhunJay

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Returned my ipad air after 2 days due to a ****** screen and got a really good refurb ipad4.

The only thing I miss is the lightness of the air...but I would rather have a device with more heft that runs lightning fast on iOS 6.1.3 with amazing battery life than an uneven screen.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
No problems so far. The way you hold it may have an effect (portrait or landscape). However, it is still much easier to hold than the previous generations.

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe just the tiniest bit of fatigue after holding it one handed for long periods. It's not as comfortable as holding the mini one handed (I can do that indefinitely). But, it's pretty close and is a vast improvement over older iPad models. You will definitely notice a difference coming from even an iPad 2 (which was the lightest of the legacy iPad models).
By "long periods", how many minutes?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
When I'm reading I use it in portrait mostly single handed, and while I was quite uncomfortable with my previous iPad 4 (a little bit too heavy), I'm fine now with the Air (I'm using a Smart Cover, like on the iPad 4, and it added a little weight ).

When I'm writing, like now, I use it in landscape, mostly with two hands or on my lap, so it's non a problem.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
People who mention lifting weights or whatever are missing the point. Anyone will start to feel uncomfortable if they try to prop up a 1 lb weight for one hour straight. So that's why you don't prop it up yourself. Don't try to fight gravity - that's a losing battle. Prop it up on something else to at least siphon off some of the weight to some other object.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't really try to hold my Air one-handed at all. I just don't see the point in even trying. It's perfectly comfortable and easy to use with two hands, I'd say it was designed to be used with two hands. Sure you can one-hand it momentarily, but not for any extended length of time. I don't understand why people think one-handed use is so important, for me, it's not a factor in picking a tablet.

Number of hands aside, some people do find the edges of iPads 2-4 to be sharp and they dig into their hands, making it feel uncomfortable or even hurt. This problem is somewhat mitigated with the Air, because the edges are a bit more rounded, but if you still find that the edges bother you, get a case.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Returned my ipad air after 2 days due to a ****** screen and got a really good refurb ipad4.

The only thing I miss is the lightness of the air...but I would rather have a device with more heft that runs lightning fast on iOS 6.1.3 with amazing battery life than an uneven screen.
So your refurb (from apple i guess) came with iOS 6, i have one waiting under the tree and i was hoping it had iOS 6

Prabas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
At first I did, because I didn't know how to hold it, but now.. So easy, you just have to hold iPad's back with three fingers and cross the corner with a thumb.

Like this:

Attachments

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
As light as the Air is, even in a case, I never hold mine with one hand. It is usually resting on something to support some of the weight. I don't even hold the mini with one hand.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Have you ever try holding nothing with one hand?

Just extend your arm and hold it it that position for a while. Is it tiring?

Well, my point is even if the device weighs nothing, it would still be tiring to hold if you do it certain way.

On the other hand, back to the days when people read physical books that weighed many times the iPad Air, you don't see people making a big deal about how heavy those books were. That's because they support the book correctly.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Just extend your arm and hold it it that position for a while. Is it tiring?

Well, my point is even if the device weighs nothing, it would still be tiring to hold if you do it certain way.

On the other hand, back to the days when people read physical books that weighed many times the iPad Air, you don't see people making a big deal about how heavy those books were. That's because they support the book correctly.
I guess it's a good thing I don't hold my iPad far enough away to fully extend my arm. :)

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Hello, I felt uncomfortable using my relative's iPad 2. I felt like the iPad were pressing my fingers while I was holding it for a short period of time (a few minutes) single handed. Do iPad Air users have similar issue? I wonder if it was due to improper way of holding the device.
Man UP!

Make 2014 the year you hit the weight room so you won't have Girly Man fingers, hands and arms anymore!

:eek:

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I guess it's a good thing I don't hold my iPad far enough away to fully extend my arm. :)
You don't have to. Here is another test. Try holding your hand in front of your face about the same distance that you would hold your iPad for 30 minutes without any secondary support.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
My answer is Yes, which is the main reason I exchanged the Air for a rMini this week. Lovin' it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.