Resolved Do iPad Air users feel tired after holding it single handed for awhile?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hajime, Dec 21, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I felt uncomfortable using my relative's iPad 2. I felt like the iPad were pressing my fingers while I was holding it for a short period of time (a few minutes) single handed. Do iPad Air users have similar issue? I wonder if it was due to improper way of holding the device.

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Maybe just the tiniest bit of fatigue after holding it one handed for long periods. It's not as comfortable as holding the mini one handed (I can do that indefinitely). But, it's pretty close and is a vast improvement over older iPad models. You will definitely notice a difference coming from even an iPad 2 (which was the lightest of the legacy iPad models).

3. Jerzup macrumors newbie

Gotta to work those forearms boys.

This thing is incredibly light and I can hold this one handed 24/7.

4. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

Returned my ipad air after 2 days due to a ****** screen and got a really good refurb ipad4.

The only thing I miss is the lightness of the air...but I would rather have a device with more heft that runs lightning fast on iOS 6.1.3 with amazing battery life than an uneven screen.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

No problems so far. The way you hold it may have an effect (portrait or landscape). However, it is still much easier to hold than the previous generations.

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

By "long periods", how many minutes?

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

When I'm reading I use it in portrait mostly single handed, and while I was quite uncomfortable with my previous iPad 4 (a little bit too heavy), I'm fine now with the Air (I'm using a Smart Cover, like on the iPad 4, and it added a little weight ).

When I'm writing, like now, I use it in landscape, mostly with two hands or on my lap, so it's non a problem.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I think it has more to do with my fingers.

9. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

People who mention lifting weights or whatever are missing the point. Anyone will start to feel uncomfortable if they try to prop up a 1 lb weight for one hour straight. So that's why you don't prop it up yourself. Don't try to fight gravity - that's a losing battle. Prop it up on something else to at least siphon off some of the weight to some other object.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes.

My super powers are useless in Earth's atmosphere. I'm glad to see there are other super heroes that have retained theirs... :rolleyes:

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't really try to hold my Air one-handed at all. I just don't see the point in even trying. It's perfectly comfortable and easy to use with two hands, I'd say it was designed to be used with two hands. Sure you can one-hand it momentarily, but not for any extended length of time. I don't understand why people think one-handed use is so important, for me, it's not a factor in picking a tablet.

Number of hands aside, some people do find the edges of iPads 2-4 to be sharp and they dig into their hands, making it feel uncomfortable or even hurt. This problem is somewhat mitigated with the Air, because the edges are a bit more rounded, but if you still find that the edges bother you, get a case.

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

So your refurb (from apple i guess) came with iOS 6, i have one waiting under the tree and i was hoping it had iOS 6

13. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

At first I did, because I didn't know how to hold it, but now.. So easy, you just have to hold iPad's back with three fingers and cross the corner with a thumb.

Like this:

Attached Files:

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Are you really going to handle it that way ? :eek:

Quite dangerous IMHO .....

15. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

It's not that heavy to be dangerous and I have quite a grip.

16. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

No, because if am not as week as an asmatic kitten.

17. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

As light as the Air is, even in a case, I never hold mine with one hand. It is usually resting on something to support some of the weight. I don't even hold the mini with one hand.

18. meistervu macrumors 65816

Have you ever try holding nothing with one hand?

Just extend your arm and hold it it that position for a while. Is it tiring?

Well, my point is even if the device weighs nothing, it would still be tiring to hold if you do it certain way.

On the other hand, back to the days when people read physical books that weighed many times the iPad Air, you don't see people making a big deal about how heavy those books were. That's because they support the book correctly.

19. luckylisp macrumors 6502

20. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I guess it's a good thing I don't hold my iPad far enough away to fully extend my arm. :)

21. mhdena macrumors 6502

Man UP!

Make 2014 the year you hit the weight room so you won't have Girly Man fingers, hands and arms anymore!

:eek:

22. meistervu macrumors 65816

You don't have to. Here is another test. Try holding your hand in front of your face about the same distance that you would hold your iPad for 30 minutes without any secondary support.

23. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

24. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Ok. I'll be back!

25. mrgossett macrumors 6502

My answer is Yes, which is the main reason I exchanged the Air for a rMini this week. Lovin' it :)