Do iPhone 4 and 4s screens really scratch that easily?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hunterheath33, Aug 18, 2012.

1. hunterheath33 macrumors regular

My Friend has an iPhone 4 and he screen scratched by just his keys in his pocket. It's just a light scratch but the display iPhones at apple and Verizon have been touched by many people and have no scratches. So my question is: does your iPhone screen scratch easily without a screen protector?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They dont scratch easy but they do scratch.
    I always have a screen protector on my iphone.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not easily. i would think it to be more likely to shatter than to scratch. in the year plus that i've had my iphone 4, the screen has only picked up one decently sized scratch, and that was from a drop onto concrete (lucky it wasn't worse). no screen protector.

4. forcetactic macrumors 6502

As long as you don't put anything else in the pocket, it shouldn't scratch too easily. I've kept my 4S naked in my pocket since release and it has 3 tiny scratches on it

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

I always hear about people complain about iPhones screens being "easy" to scratch.

Surely the newer iPhones would be LESS susceptible to scratching, no?

My newer iPhones I've always had screen protectors since day 1 so I've never had a scratch on my 3G, 4, or 4S. But I ask because my original iPhone has been screen-protector-less since day 1 (5+ years old now), and has no scratches at all, and I still use it (full-time right now since I'm selling my 4S) :confused:

6. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Fine hairline scratches, yes.. Anything else without minor abuse, no.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

My iphone 4s is pushed into a hard leather slip when in my pocket which goes some to protect it from surface scratches.

I prefer not to have screen shields due to the feel and look of them.

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No they do not scratch easily. IMHO, putting a smartphone in the same pocket as car keys is not scratching easily and is a stupid decision. I keep my phone in a pocket by itself. It's done the usual, slid around the car, survived drops, fumbles, etc. For me screen protectors screw up the nice screen to much. My wife has been carrying her's in her purse by just tossing it in with everything else for the last year and a half. Neither have any scratches.

9. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

They're very scratch resistant. I stopped using screen protectors when the invisible shield peeled off my iPhone 4 back in 2010. They can still scratch though. I managed to get a fine hairline scratch on my 4 and couldn't figure how or when it happened.

Never had a screen protector on my 4S though and it still looks brand new.

10. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

Do you mind sharing what this slip looks like or what it's called? I'd love to get it if it works for me. Thanks.

11. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502a

Yes, well mine it seems. I'd have to say that I have 5-7 scratches on the front and at least 10 scratches on the back. Kinda sucks because I love my iPhone 4 but hate having cases. Haven't dropped it or anything, just goes in my pocket.

12. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Ive used nothing but bumpers since launch. They keep both sides off surfsces and I have 0 scratches. Also ive dropped it quite a few times and no cracks

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

No it doesn't scratch easily. It's made of glass, which is very hard stuff. Just don't put it in a pocket with keys or coins. Problem solved.

14. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'm in the "Doesn't scratch easily" camp. I've had various iPhones since the iPhone 3 and have rarely used a screen protector, but always use a case of some type.

I've not yet had a scratch on my screen, and have always gotten good money when I sold one.

It is glass and can scratch but it is tough to do.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. It's easily as scratch resistant as every other good quality phone's screens on the market.

16. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3?

The third iPhone is the iPhone 3GS.
    It is never referred to this, why not just say 3GS?

17. i0Nic macrumors 65816

No.

18. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Hairline scratches yes, and those are annoying and distracting.

I got some hairline scratches on my 4S only a few days after buying it and have used screen protectors since. I tried the Zagg screen protectors but found they were way too thick and killed the experience (sounds like I'm talking about condoms, :p).

Honestly, the cheapest, thinnest screen protectors at the mall have always worked for me and are not very noticeable to the touch.

19. Nick johnson macrumors newbie

They do but not that easily.......
    Use screen guard and also iphone case to protect the screen.....

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I've never used a screen protector on either of my iPhones (4 & 4s), always carry it in my back pocket and not a single scratch.

21. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Guarantee all the nay-sayers who "don't have scratches", have hairline scratches.. Go stand in the sun and angle your phone to glare at you, while the display is off..

22. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Well, with a pocket full of keys, why would you ever put your phone in the same pocket??

23. Siggen macrumors 6502

because you have X pockets and Y items with you. And chances are that Y sometimes are bigger than X.

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Done that. Nothing but a couple of finger prints. Took a key to my screen more than a few times just to show people how unnecessary a screen protector really was. Unless of course it was for anti glare. And even then you're sacrificing up to 30% touch sensitivity depending on the material of the screen protector.