Do iPhones have some form of anti grease coating on the screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bathplug, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I'm a new iPhone owner and I've notice when I just generally use the phone it doesn't get covered in alot of finger prints and grease plus it seems really easy to clean, unlike my 2 year old ipod touch 2nd gen.

If there is some coating on the screen will it eventually wear off? or are the iphone 4 screens known to be different to the ipod touch screens? I was planning on putting a screen protector on my iphone but will this remove the coating from the iphones (if there is any) if I was to remove the screen protector in the future?

Thanks

2. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

I find it really hard to clean, just smeers the finger prints

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It's called an olephobic coating and it was applied to resist fingerprints. Being a coating however it can be scratched so care must be taken.

4. matthewhotdude macrumors regular

Seriously?

Think they must have forgot to coat mine, honestly I find it worse than my
    3GS

5. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, did the previous iphones have olephobic coating to?. I've had my ipod touch screen naked for two years and no scratches, I just tried to apply a screen protector on my iphone 4 and failed so I think I'll keep the screen naked and just be extra carefull if there is a slight higher chance of it getting scratched due to the olephobic coating.

What kind of cloth do you use to clean your screen? Alot of people tend to use those microfibre glasses lense cleaning cloths or even there t shirts but I wouldn't recommend neither.

I bought a pack of 3 really good car valeting micro fibre cloths which are:

Heavy duty (my prefered cloth of choice for iphone/ipod touch) - made to clean wheels, bumpers & engines.

Interior cloth - for headlamps, chrome and alloys

Velour cloth - for glass, mirrors & paintwork

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Why didn't they put the coating on the back? The back seems very hard to clean.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's great the first couple of weeks but then it starts to just smear when wiped. It's not as obvious though because you have to hold it at an angle to see the smudges. Every time I put it in my pocket, it gets a weird cloudy smudge on it always in the same spot. That gets really hard to wipe off.

8. BobHail macrumors 6502a

3GS was the first one to have the oleophobic coating. It´s nice and keeps the display much cleaner than 3G, but I think it makes the display a bit less scratch proof.

But I don´t know if the iPhone 4 has it?

EDIT: It´s there.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

9. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Yes the iPhone 4 has it as well as the new 8GB 3GS.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

For me the trade off for a screen that resists fingerprints a bit more isn't worth the increased chance of an ugly scratch across the screen. Therefore, I slapped a powersupport screen protector on my iPhone and wipe the prints off that.

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I ordered some of these screen protectors for both of my 3GS today. Sure the antiglare ones make the screen a bit more grainey but I really hate finger prints. I had these protectors all my previous iPhones.

The only phone that i won't put a protector on is my iPhone 4. The screen is just to nice to cover up.

12. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I love the coating on my 4, far, far better than it was on my older 3G. And when compared to my wife's Droid....like night and day. She is OCD and cleans hers all the time but if I use hers even for something simple like a weather check it looks terrible.

13. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Agreed! The back's killing me. So many fingerprints, & I can only clean it so much. :(