Do iPhones hold their price well?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bp1000, Nov 2, 2011.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm due to buy a black and white iPhone 4s for me and my wife but I know I will want to 5 next year.

What do you think the 4s will be worth if I sold it just before the launch of the 5?

This is my first iPhone so I don't know what they sell for a year old. This will be sim free unlocked 16gb on each phone.

2. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

iPhone 4 prices are still holding at around 300 roughly for a 16gb. You find exceptions here and there, but that's what I'm seeing, and this is after the 4s release

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is that pounds?

I was hoping more like 350 - 370

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

You could look on ebay filtering for recent completed purchases of similar iphone4 sales as a guide.

5. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just sold an iPhone 4 16GB for $400 about 60 days ago, but I have always sold it for more than I paid for it.

In June I sold a mint condition White iPhone 3GS 32GB with original obx and accessories for $300, which is basically what I paid for it in June of 2009.

6. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I would say so. I sold my black iPhone 4 (16GB) on Craigslist for $350 after the iPhone 4S was announced. If you're looking to sell it you want to make sure you keep it in pristine condition. Scratches, dents, and scuffs are the first thing people want to know about.

I'd also stay away from websites like Gazelle. I know a lot of people use them but if you're wanting to get the most for your phone, you're better off waiting to sell on eBay, Craigslist, etc. Those sites don't give you anywhere near as much.

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

This would be my suggestion as well. For reference, back in August I sold two iPhone 4 32 GB for USD $400 each.

8. superdudeo macrumors regular

Don't think you'll be able to get that much. I just sold my 4 for £330 but it took a while. Was brand new replacement in wrapping too.

9. Millionin20s macrumors regular

For perspective: a co-worker of mine took his iPhone 3GS to Sprint the day after launch and walked out with a 4s. He paid $31 for it, because his phone was valued at $170. I took my EVO 4G to Sprint 2 days after launch, they would only give me a $50 credit for it. iPhones hold value ridiculously well.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's quite a price premium over going US market rates!

11. WHM macrumors regular

I have bought every iPhone since they have become available starting in 2007! Every year I have sold my year old phone for more than I paid for it and now on the 5th edition and I have bought only one. We are are a family plan with 4 phones and get the advantage of a the discount upgrade every year.

12. UneElle macrumors member

I bought my 1st iPhone (3GS) in 2008 and I've since upgraded to the 4 and last month to the 4S. I sold both my 3GS and my 4 on eBay, and currently I'm $50 ahead of the "game," having sold both for more than I paid for them.

When the 5 comes out, I'll sell my 4S as well.

Seriously, there aren't many things that you can purchase, use for a year or more, then sell for more than you paid for them. :cool:

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

UK retail prices include significant taxes that we don't have in the US.

14. riveting macrumors 6502

I have a hard time finding a used (not mint) locked 16g iphone 4 for under CAD$ 400 locally or on ebay. After watching almost every local classified ads for about a month, finally found a mint factory unlocked 16g iphone 4 that a seller is willing to sell me for $400, he was asking $450, then before we meet, he told me he had to back up his word because another buyer offered him $500, I was like WTF....

I gave up, it is good for seller to sell their iphone, not good for buyer to find a decent priced (outdated) iphone to be used on cheaper plans.

15. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

They hold their value really well. Like somebody else said, you can't find a used one for under 300. Android phones on the other hand.. they don't hold value at all because they go outdated after 3 months..

16. snook911, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

snook911 macrumors 6502a

I think if you buy the 4S now you should be able to sell it for enough next year to buy a full price iPhone 5 and just be out what the upgrade would be. For example I sold my Iphone 16GB iphone 4 for $350 and bought a 32GB 4S. Next year I should be able to sell my 4S for about $450 and if prices hold the same pay the difference of $300 to get the full retail iPhone 5. The $300 I'll be putting out would be the same as the upgrade price so I'm ok with that. If you ask me not doing it this way does not make any sense. Every other year you will get an upgrade and be able to sell your phone for more then you'll pay for the replacement. I bought my iPhone 4 for $200 and sold it for $350. Seems like a no brainer to me.

17. Almy macrumors 6502

Sprint was mentioned, Verizon also buys back phones. You can check the value on their web site. I checked an old 3G 8gig and they would give $55 trade in.

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I find Apple products to hold their value really well.

I sold my iPod touch 4 a month before the October event anticipating a 5th gen (which didn't happen and now I'm buying a 4S) for $375NZD. I bought it for $470 NZD.

$95 to use it for 1 year isn't too shabby

19. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

the asking price in ebay instant sale dropped to $200 for 16GB ATT version.

20. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

People who say their sold their iPhone for more than they bought it seem to forget that their contract includes paying back the carrier subsidy. If you wanted the same plan without a phone, it would be significantly cheaper.

You're never going to make money on your iPhone, but like all Apple devices, yes they do hold value well. This is because the mobile market isn't saturated with a million different Apple phones, unlike say Nokia, Samsung or HTC.

21. MayBee macrumors 6502

I would say 4S should hold it's value since it has the Siri feature...

If anyone who has a choice of a 4 or 4S, then 4S should have a higher demand for it.

Also, I believe WHITE has a more demand for it....easier to sell too...

just my opinion.

22. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I understand what you are saying but my monthly bill would be pretty much the same whether i had an iPhone or some other smartphone so I really don't include my monthly payment into the equation. Its a constant whether on a contract or not or have an iPhone or not the payment would be the same so whats the difference?

23. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

Yes

24. Jason black macrumors regular

I know I'm selling my 64g for 500+ when the time comes. IPhones are a hot sale everywhere.

25. Mr.C macrumors 601

Bear in mind they cost more brand new here in the first place so it's all relative. I bought my iPhone 4 32GB sim free and unlocked from Apple here in the UK for £600 and sold it a week after the iPhone 4S launch for £400. That's approximately 66% back on my original outlay. I bought the iPhone 4S 64GB for £700 sim free and unlocked. That's almost $1100 for a phone that costs $749 in the US. We get a premium in resale value over the US but we also pay a premium for them brand new in the first place. This goes for pretty much everything here especially consumer electronics.