Do Light Leaks Get Worse Over Time…

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Adibobea9, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Adibobea9 macrumors member

I finally got my iPod and the first thing I did was checked out if there were any light leaks. Originally I found none and was way excited by the fact that I had a perfect Touch. Later that night as I was viewing a video, a saw some light creeping out of the side by the volume buttons, and was disappointed by the new discovery.

So my question as the title suggests, is if the leaks will get worse over time or stay as they are? I am fine with this small crack as a cover will most likely hide it, but if they get worse I would rather exchange it. What have you experienced with your light leaks…

2. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

stop looking at the buttons and just look at the screen. sheesh!

3. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Nice answer! Unfortunately I don't see the question you are referring.

4. Adibobea9 thread starter macrumors member

Stop wasting both of our time and giving out stupid advice. sheesh!

The light leaks are a valid defect that Apple should have addressed. The were too busy making the Touch as slim as possible that they forgot that the pieces didn't fit together. Besides the leak isn't on the buttons but by the buttons, next to the screen…sheesh!

5. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

Someone here on the forums already expressed the assumption that light leaks might grow or arise due to overheating. He made exactly the same discovery as you are describing.

6. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

It is possible, that they will get larger. It is a manufacturing defect, so I would suggest sending it in, NOT exchanging it. Another person on the forum posted his experience with light leaks, and that you should talk to a Apple Genius, and he might (should) send it in for repairs.
    Does this not meet MR's definition of trolling?

I agree.

7. dave1812dave macrumors 6502a

look at the title of the thread. (HINT: it's a question)

8. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

You seem to be pretty bright! How come, you didn't understand it?

9. kitsizzle macrumors newbie

Help!!!!

I JUST GOT MY NEW MAC DESK TOP YESTERDAY AND IM DYING!! I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET A @MAC EMAIL SET UP, AND I CANT FIGURE IT OUT, SO I REGESTED HERE, AND NOW I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A QUESTION!! IM SORRY, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME????:rolleyes:

10. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

First of all calm down, then release the SHIFT-KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Then you should watch out for a button labeled "New Thread".

Btw: you can't register new .mac eMail any longer. The service is discontinued, now it is called mobileMe.

11. Botoxopfer macrumors newbie

Did you look for the Light Leaks in the dark? I can only see the light leaks of mine if it's dark.
    btw if you don't mind having your iPod 3 Days not with you, I would send it in. UPS drives to your house and sends the package directly to apple. and it's really fast. UPS picked my iPod today up and now I've already got an e-mail from apple, that they got my iPod.

12. jon3543 macrumors 6502

My guess is that it was there from the start but you didn't notice it, perhaps because of differences in ambient lighting, source material, brightness setting, temperature (including length of operation), etc.

Unless it's really bad, my advice is to put it in a case like the Griffin Outfit Gloss and forget about it. A replacement could be worse or have other sample defects.

13. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Yeh they generally get worse over time, until there is no more light left in the device.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Shouldn't do.

And light leakage isn't the easiest thing to prevent either.

Haha.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Light leaks happen any time you have any type of thin panel display. Its nothing to do with Apple, or any other brand. In order for Apple to avoid light leaks completely they would have to use something like a CRT display in your iPod.

No they do not get worse over time.

16. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

This thread is about light leaks and the iPod touch. Not mac emails.
    Hmmmm...

I still recommend sending it in.

17. juuliuuz macrumors newbie

Hello, I m new to this forum.
    OK, looks like not only me have the same problem. Probably every second Ipod touch manufactured has the light leakage. Apple should look at this problem more seriously. I know nobody is perfect but still, its a premium product.
    Here is my story. I bought my new IPOD TOUCH 4G two weeks ago. OK looked perfectly until I some how decided to check it for dead pixels. Did a test and guess what? 2 dead pixels. But yeah in this thread we speak about light leakage and yes I do have it! For my first IPOD which I received I called to apple care and they agreed to replace it in to new. This had 2 pixels and a little bit of light leak where the volume buttons are based but not that much like the new one, so that time I didn't care. The new one I got for replacement has like 2 cm light leak and still has one dead or stuck pixel in the middle of screen. What should I do should I try my luckiness for the 3rd time? What if there will be no end :mad::apple: Its just drives u mad when the thing is not perfect :confused:

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Another user had an experience with an Apple Genius who told him that he should send it in for repairs, not exchange it. They should replace it, but I've also seen another post that said they don't replace it unless you have 3 dead pixels or more if you're out of the 14 day warranty (???).

19. buckawheat macrumors member

Best response I've seen this year!

20. juuliuuz macrumors newbie

Agree :D