Do most people still have AT&T unlimited plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Kendo, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

Kendo macrumors 68000

I've been an iPhone user since 3GS when it had the unlimited plan. I was just curious because when I upgraded to the 5, the AT&T associate looked in shock that I still had an unlimited plan. Are they that rare? The way I see it, when the 3GS came out there were tons of iPhone users. Every single one of them was required to get the unlimited plan. Wouldn't they all still exist?

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I think if you want to make changes to your plan you are automatically kicked out of the unlimited.

But, I still have it. Not planning to give it up for a while. But I suspect that unlimited data will make its way back into the market since sprint is offering it.

3. leitmotif macrumors regular

I still have it and it is the only reason I still have AT&T.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

Still have mine. I lost it a few times over the years due to AT&T reps but I always get it back.

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I've been clinging to my unlimited plan since the original iPhone. I generally never came close to using the amount given in the tiered plan, but I knew there'd come a day when some new feature would make my tenacity worthwhile.

I figured out what reason was when iTunes Match came. I have an hourlong commute each way, and iTunes Match has completely changed that driving experience.

Now with iTunes Radio, there's another compelling reason to have unlimited (an now with a 5 GB high speed cap).

I know AT&T hates it. I weep for them while I'm rocking out in the car.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Still have it since iPhone 3G. Never giving it up. Almost did about a year ago, so happy I waited to see how much data I would use with LTE.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I did until yesterday. When I ordered the phone I changed the data plan to the 3GB for $30, though I had the option to keep the unlimited for $30. I only did so, so that I could FaceTime over cellular.

Losing the "unlimited" wasn't a big deal for me since I'm almost always on wifi and generally don't even use 500MB in a month.

8. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, no. When I got the iPhone 5 last year they took me off unlimited.

9. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

I still have mine and I've change my voice plan from individual to family and moved markets from one state to another. Each time they just manually transferred it over.

10. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

If like to hear more about this. One thing I am a little paranoid about is anytime I have to call AT&T for anything, some customer service drone will click a button that cancels my unlimited plan.

11. Jon1323 macrumors member

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm also almost always on WiFi and considering doing the same thing. The ability to have a hotspot is attractive when I'm on-call (and forget to get a hotspot from the office) or when the kids want to play an iPod game in the car or out somewhere.

I need to see how much cellular data I really use in a month.

13. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

I did but I realized I wasn't gaining anything by keeping it. In theory it's unlimited, but AT&T has told me on various occasions that even though it's unlimited, they throttle you once you hit 3gb data usage. Plus by being on unlimited I had to pay an extra $20 a month for texting and I couldn't use my phone as a hotspot.

I switched to the 4gb/unlimited voice/text plan and it ends up being cheaper. Now, I have more than enough data for my usage and unlimited everything else and I can tether.

14. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

The closest I came was about 2GB in a month. But the way I look at it, they give you 5GB until they throttle you. 5GB under a tiered plan costs $50. To me it is like getting $50 worth for $30 even though I don't use $50 worth.

15. cburton macrumors regular

Still have mine! No real desire to get rid of it.

16. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Just log into your AT&T or Verizon account online or look at one of your bills. It will tell you the usage.

17. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I haz unlimited datas on AT&T. Sent from my iPhone 5.

18. sleepyking macrumors 6502

Wasn't it confirmed back in June that unlimited data users can now use FaceTime over cellular? Did that change? If not then you certainly got rid of it for absolutely no reason

19. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Your going to be upset but here goes.

You can now FaceTime over cellular with unlimited on ATT.
    Sorry for your loss

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Same here. I imagine at some point the data flow will outgrow unlimited's viability, but I'm hanging on until the pry it away from me.

21. karboN.6 macrumors regular

Very rare. and I'm still grand fathered into the 5s

22. esco macrumors 6502

esco

My sister and I both had unlimited data plans up to a year ago but we decided to switch the entire family to a Mobile Share plan. The personal hotspot feature, $10 to add a LTE iPad mini, and the fact that our parents barely use any data at all but were still paying quite a bit for data plans on their individual iPhones made it worth it for the entire family.

23. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry you are taking pot shots at a Moderator. :D

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I was aware of that. AT&T said they were going to roll this out over time and it still hasn't come to my area or account yet.

Its no loss for me, as I mentioned that I don't even come close to 500MB in a month, so 3GB ought to be plenty.