do-not-call list and political campaigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aethelbert, Nov 3, 2008.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

This is more or less a rant.

Why on earth doesn't the do not call list cover political campaigns? I know, I know, they're non-profit organizations, but is anyone's mind actually going to be changed (especially the night prior) due to someone on the phone trashing their opposition? I've already voted, so this crap has no effect on me. I promised myself after getting tons of calls in 2004 that I would record them this year. Here are my results:

10:22: Barack Obama
    10:40: Jill Long Thompson (democrat in IN gubernatorial race)
    11:34: Nels Ackerson (democrat for house)
    11:59: Mitch Daniels (incumbent governor)
    12:50: John McCain
    2:07: Barack Obama
    2:26: Barack Obama
    3:13: Steve Buyer (republican incumbent for house)
    3:21: city-specific reorganization plan
    3:50: Mitch Daniels
    4:57: John McCain
    5:45: Barack Obama
    5:48: John McCain
    5:52: Jill Long Thompson
    6:12: Nels Ackerson
    6:40: Barack Obama
    7:43: county commissioner (forgot the name)

I disconnected the phone right after the last call. Is it just me, or is this a bit excessive? I know that Indiana has been termed a swing state (Obama has a snowball's chance in hell of winning here), but man do they fight hard. I'd think that all of these calls are more likely to piss off potential voters, especially right before the general election. Typically, I'm respectful to the person on the line and listen to what they have to say (since they're donating their time to volunteer for a good cause), but this is absolutely nuts. I listened to calls until 3:30 after which I just hung up after the introduction. Each and every one was telling me why I shouldn't vote for the other candidate. After getting at least four political items in the mail over the last ten days, this isn't much of a surprise, but it sure does make me want to reach through the phone and strangle the person at the other end after getting five calls from the same campaign.

Is it just me, or has anyone else been getting excessive amounts of solicitation this year? Does anyone agree that the no-call list should be expanded to include political causes?

2. gotzero macrumors 68040

Sadly, the negative calls and robo-calls are effective.

They will stop as soon as the populace rises above them. I would not hold your breath...

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. :(

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's what I like about not living in a battleground state. I've only seen two Obama ads on TV, I heard one McCain ad on TV, not one single robocall, and only a few pieces of politimail for local candidates.

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

Indiana is a swing state. If you lived in Texas or New York, I don't think you would have recieved one robocall from Obama or McCain.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think after my 4th one I might of changed to being a little rude. "To like stop ****ing calling me"

Right now as soon as they start the political talk my response is *click*

I am still glad cell phones are on a universal do not call list. Even political and non-profits can not call them.

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I guess the root cause of this barrage of harrassment is the American voters' inherent reluctance to vote. You've got an entire army of people basically torturing you into voting, and yet the voter turnout is still only around 55%.

Here in Sweden, the turnout is usually in the 80-85% ballpark, despite very little harrassment. There are no robo-calls, and no manual calls either, except maybe from polling institutes. Nobody's knocking on doors. There are no signs on front lawns. There are very few rallies. There are no TV ads. No bumper stickers. The only hints that there's even an upcoming election is...

- A series of televised debates
    - Lots of media coverage
    - Lots of billboards and posters in designated ad spaces like the subway etc.
    - Ads in newspapers
    - The parties set up tiny 'kiosks', all in the same town square, where you can go in and talk to volunteers and maybe get some pamphlets and buttons. You have to go there, they don't come to your home.

There's nothing remotely intrusive about the process, except if you happen to walk a little too close to a campaign worker in the town square and get the "hi, can I interest you in...".

I just cannot understand why the self-appointed "greatest democracy in the world" has such an abysmal voter turnout. Is it the long lines? Is it that it's on a Tuesday? Is the information and persuasion overkill turning you off? Is it the tedium of registering?

:confused: