Do Not Disturb ‘Breakthrough’

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by fjfjfjfj, May 13, 2019.

1. fjfjfjfj macrumors 6502

Is it my imagination or did Apple announce at one of their keynotes that they were working on a feature for future version of iOS that would allow certain app notifications to ‘break through’ do not disturb if the user allowed? I forget the example, but maybe like a home alarm app or something like that where you would want the notification to sound, even if do not disturb is on. Does anyone else remember that?

2. Chacocliff macrumors 6502

I know you can set it up for phone calls, and message notifications for certain people. Im not sure about other apps though.

3. fjfjfjfj thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, that was the ‘new’ idea. Instead of phone calls (which I know you can set up to break through) it was for app notifications.

4. Vally1945 macrumors newbie

Vally1945

I rarely use "do not disturb" so if I have it on, I REALLY don't want anyone or anything blowing up my phone. Seems like an unnecessary feature.

5. C DM, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I don't recall there being something related to apps, just for calls/messages based on contacts basically.

There's also Do Not Disturb While Driving, which is slightly different and does offer some other options like being able to send an urgent message through it.

6. narch macrumors newbie

I think I remember it being in relation to health apps. The example was a blood glucose monitor notification.

7. NoBoMac Moderator

NoBoMac

Staff Member

8. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

Ever since DnD, I've never had messaging alerts ever breakthrough no matter what I do. The calls will come through fine for the group I set, but messages are always silent for the same people.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Did you set up Emergency Bypass for those people (in their Contact settings)?