Do Not Disturb Underrated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by w00t951, Oct 10, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

It seems like Do Not Disturb is the most underrated feature in iOS 6! While it lacks scheduling based on days of the week (which would make it absolutely perfect) it's basically a third, albeit less accessible, ringer mode. I use it every weekday.

2. Huliodude macrumors member

Mine doesn't seem to work. I turn on Do Not Disturb, and call my phone from my landline, and it rings! Is there a time delay or something before it's engaged?

3. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I'll be honest, I don't really understand the concept. Fill me in :eek:?

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Well I guess there are most people who don't care to use it. It can be of great use to those who really don't want people calling while they sleep but not everyone has the problem of their phone disturbing them. They lived without the "Do Not Disturb" so it's not very much needed for some people as they don't always get calls or text non stop.

Still a great feature that I know a lot of people use

5. PeterTran macrumors member

I use it when i go to sleep so i don't see my notifications.

6. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

DND turns off notifications (but still logs and displays them) when activated. It should be instant. When the screen is on, DND allows notifications through.

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

DND has stopped all middle-of-the-night email notifications from overseas clients that would wake up the wife. The iOS 6 upgrade was worth it for that feature alone. Also, only having a 4, that's pretty much the only feature that I can use.

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I agree, I love DND!

Due to an illness, I have a crazy sleep schedule, and being able to turn on DND anytime has helped me sleep better when I can. And the people who may need to reach me are getting used to the concept of calling twice in a row to get through in an emergency (can't use the favorites, because I might be asleep in the middle of the day, when they might just be calling to chat. Ugh). I have nothing but love for it.

Your phone has to be asleep. It doesn't work when you're still using it.

9. SoundWagon macrumors member

SoundWagon

Is your landline on your favorites list? It lets all calls through from your favorites list.

10. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

11. SR71 macrumors 68000

Agreed. I have it scheduled to turn on ever night at 9:45pm till 7am. Works great for me. When I'm finally starting to fall asleep, I'm not distracted by endless vibrations and lights from the screen. By far one of my most used and favorite features in iOS 6.

12. YungMoola94 macrumors regular

It's under rated because not everyone has an affair. Heheh

13. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Does anybody know if the alarm will still go off in DND mode? I haven't tried it yet myself and would rather not find out the hard way by being late for work. ;)

14. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I tried it because I was curious myself. DND does not silence alarms.

15. aquadisiac, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

aquadisiac macrumors 6502

This is the question i have also. I will test it out tonight.

ETA: It worked!!

16. bencjedi macrumors regular

If I use a sleep analysis program like Dream On with DND enabled will DND do anything? When you lay the screen down on your mattress Dream On turns the display off, so I am thinking DND is engaged even though it's not. I am a heavy sleeper though and can't tell if texts and notifications are actually causing my device to buzz (phone always on silent) because I am dead asleep. When I do get a text while asleep I am not awakened, yet there's a text waiting to be read on my device when I get up.

Btw the Dream On app is kind of cool. I use it every night and confirm I have a direct correlation on waking up feeling rested (or not) based on the graph the app logs as it senses vibrations on the mattress as I sleep. If the graph shows I went into "deep sleep" for most of the night I wake up feeling much butter than when it had only graphed in the 'asleep' range. The music you can buy that is supposed to influence your dreams doesn't work on me at all though.

17. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

I use it and love it. I wake up very easily and I always had to turn off vibration everytime I go to sleep and turn it back on during the day. With DND, I just have to set it to DND between 1:00am and 7:00am and I'm good.

18. yelnref macrumors member

- yes, it needs scheduling
    - plus ignore favorites should be an option

and, my biggest issue...

- should work whenever you activate it, regardless of the phone being locked or not. That way, you can still use the phone as a clock at night (or I could be reading (or listening to) a book).

Then it would be perfect.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't use it (don't even have iOS 6, but ...) because the occasional message or ring won't bother me at night - and who knows, maybe it could be urgent.

I think it's a good idea for when I'm at school though. but not really a major issue since I just disable audio anyways

20. = bluntman = macrumors regular

This feature is a God-send! Prior to this I would receive an unsolicited text message (SPAM) in the middle of the night causing the screen to light up and waking me up from slumber. Now, no more, unless someone in my Favourites calls or sends me a text.

21. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I have mine on a schedule so at 11pm I get no notification noises on my iPhone and iPad then at 7am my phone goes back to normal. That way I never get woke up by my phone.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah it does ando love the feature

23. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I really haven't used it yet because I charge my phone downstairs but I'm confident it'll come in handy when I travel for business. People always want to wake me up at 4-5 AM because they forget about time zones! :)

24. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yeah sure "business" :D

25. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

If you have DND on, do calls just go to VM right away? What about text messages? Do alarms, alerts and push notifications all still work?