Do o2 have the 16bg in stock for order fulfilment?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnwin, Jul 7, 2008.

1. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Just spotted that article on MacWorld, tewlls us what a mess o2 have made of the pre-order day but I was luck and have an order 'in processing'

BUT this last part of the article now has me worried:

"What perhaps makes the affair more annoying is that O2 has also admitted to holding no stock yet of the 16GB iPhone 3G, while also only offering the device in black."

http://macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=21925

I ordered the 16gb, of course, but they may not have them in stock yet!!!

Has anyone got any further info on this?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I just got off the phone to O2 sales. God a really nice guy who said everyone who was successful today should have their iPhone on friday, thats what they are aiming for anywho.

3. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

Thanks for that but does not answer the question of if o2 even have the 16gb to be able to send them out on Thursday :(

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Of course not. I guess the only people who really know that are Apple and O2.

5. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

True - but wondered if anyone had further info on the source of the MacWorld comment.

Anyone seen this anywhere else?

6. ajthomason macrumors 6502

What they mean by that is that o2 do not have the iPhone units in their warehouse yet. They will be shipped out on Wed/Thurs by Apple and then sent out then. It's like any pre-order, even DVDs or Games, the shops don't get them until the day before...

7. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I guess it's a 'just in time' process. Though this must mean they DO have the 8gb already. Yes?

Any corroborating stories anywhere?

8. mailliw macrumors member

I ordered mine at 8.10 this morning, assuming I'd be one of the first. Got all the emails etc. Just spoke to O2 who told me I "missed the first shipment" and mine is out of stock. He was about as helpful as a chocolate fire guard.

So it looks like it doesn't matter when you placed the order. Who gets one on Friday is a complete lottery, and from what I can gather, they haven't placed counters on the orders in any logical sequence (first come first serve). It's a mess!

Ah well. At least I have my health.

9. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

One can only hope that O2 will divert stock they wanted to have in the stores on Friday to the people who successfully managed to place their order this morning.

10. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

That won't happen for lots of reasons - not lease they would rather have a dissapointed customer on the phone than shouting in the store.

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

EDIT: Actually I probably shouldn't post that here. If you missed my post, essentially I was saying I've been told it's likely we will receive our iPhones on Friday if everything goes to plan.

12. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I hope you and your mate are right! I'm close to cancelling my order and going to join the queue on Friday am!

13. chris22 macrumors newbie

you'll have a hard job canceling as you cant!! You have to wait for the phone to arrive then send it back or refuse delivery!!

I rang this morning after i ordered from the normal store in stead of upgrade store and I was told i couldnt cancel it.

14. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I'm not sure you are right - others here have cancelled.

15. Badgerguy macrumors member

Regarding the 16GB not being in stock with O2 yet - frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have the 8GB yet! Remember, these things are going to ship WITH the iPhone 2.0 software preloaded, which was only very recently completed, so O2 aren't likely to get these things until Apple are good and ready.

Of course, how O2 split their stock up between online orders and their retail stores is up to them, and after speaking to four retail stores today they all said the same thing - they've been authorised to say that they are expecting to have good stock of both the 8GB and 16GB - now, if the retail stores are going to get it, then the O2 central warehouse for online fulfilment must be getting it too.

A great startup slogan for the iPhone would be 'Don't Panic' ;)

--
    BG

16. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

. . . in big friendly letters on the front cover :D

17. mailliw macrumors member

Well I hope he's right, but really, we can't believe a word anyone says. As another poster reminds us, O2 won't have their paws on the iPhones until Thursday if my information is correct. So...for all their twattishness today, most of their staff will be as in the dark as us about it all. Not ideal, but I've waited over 12 months to use an iPhone...another few weeks, while painful, will just have to be done!