Do parents ever know what their kids are up to anymore?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dontwalkhand, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Do parents ever know what their kids are up to anymore? I have decided to go visit my old high school (Keep in mind, I graduated in 2008!), and even in this SMALL PERIOD of time, lots have changed. Well not that much, but this question does always boggle my mind, even when I was in high school. Maybe I am just more mature than the others.

Do these kids wear their pants saggy in front of their parents?
    Do these kids just love to cuss in every other word of their sentences?
    Do these kids think bullying a kid who is just sitting their minding his own business acceptable?
    Do these kids grab their private parts while just strolling along a hallway in front of their parents?
    Saying stuff like "oh my dick is sticky, its hot outside!"
    etc.

I really wonder if these kids do what they do at school, at home in front of their parents.

I think that parents should be allowed to surprise visit a high school without their child knowing just to see what they are up to..but unfortunately with the laws we have "For safety" and "disrupting an educational institution" this will never be possible. Most schools around AZ I know of stopped giving visitors passes out, but I was lucky enough to get permission to enter the campus.

And obviously it is not like this behavior stops when they get to college either. I always wonder how these kids do as moms and dads..but somehow, most of people's parents, including mine were stemmed from behaviors like this themselves. It is very mind boggling to a person like me.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

I don't think a lot has changed, that sounds just like my old high school.

There are always the kids that are polite and the kids that are not. It just depends on who they hang out with and how they were raised.

"I think that parents should be allowed to surprise visit a high school without their child knowing just to see what they are up to."

That's just plain creepy.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Many parents don't have time/don't give a ****. We get stuck with the result.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What he said.

It was like that when I went to HS 13 years ago, kids swearing, bullying others, being sloppy with their clothes and I went to a catholic high school. Kids will be kids, I was a pretty bad kid when I was younger, but I turned out just fine. That's what I like to believe anyway. :p:D

Also, swearing can be good for you. ;)

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In grade school our class was so bad we had to actually have parents cycle in to make sure the class wasn't acting up. :eek:

I think some parents were more authoritative than others, it never works out in the end though. Once the kids are around their friends they are going to act like their friends do. Best you can do is try to make sure they are hanging with the "right" crowd.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This question is asked each and every generation. Sometimes people just forget they used to be a kid too.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Umm most of the stuff you just listed I heard when I was in HS. I got out of high school in 2001.

I think it is more the group you hung out with in HS did not say that type of stuff but if you listened back then you would of heard it. one year is not enough time for things to change.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

1. Probably. It's the thing these days. When I was in HS, I spiked my hair and wore parachute pants. Ah the 80's. ;) So what? I see nothing wrong with what kids wear now.
    2. Again- it was never that big a deal for me to do so.
    3. Now this would get my a** kicked and sent to a shrink. That is NEVER acceptable.
    4. Again- been there, done that.
    5. My parents as well as myself, said far worse in each others' company when I was a teen. Big deal.

Honestly, I'm waiting for kids to shock me these days. When are they gonna come up with something new that adults hate? It's all been rehash since the 80's.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you graduated in '08 then you have changed, not the school. 3/4 of the students were there while you were there...

10. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Sounds just like my old HS and I graduated in 2002.

As for the parents knowing, I can only speak for what I experienced/saw and that was that my parents and most of my friend's parents were simply too busy earning a living and putting food on the table to be 100% involved in the kid's lives.

This doesn't mean they were involved because they were but I think its unrealistic to think ANY parent can know what their kids are up to ALL THE TIME.

Hell, I was a 4.0 student, student council and all that extra curricular junk that looks good on a college application and I still found a way to cut classes, sneak out, hang out with older kids and all the other bad stuff. Were my parents aware? Nope.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Congratulations you're old and sanctimonious ahead of your time. Next you'll be writing emails to networks complaining about the content of television programs.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They might do. I never swore infront of my parents, and they never swore infront of me. It was just something we never did (but then again both I and them were quite reasonable).
    But a few of us went on a couple of small excursions and they would swear on the phone to their parents. So yes. I guess people do indeed act that way infront of their parents.

13. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Agreed. Most of what I've seen is a lack of interest. You don't want to go to bed or do your HW? Aight watch TV and leave me alone...

14. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I'm in high school, and honestly the behavior of some, if not most of the kids disgusts me. I don't consider myself extremely mature, however, I'd be willing to bet that I am more mature and civilized than many...:rolleyes:

15. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Of course, what's wrong with saggy pants?
    I do enjoy it, but of course sometimes you have to watch your language in front of people (that you respect) because it might offend them.
    Bullying is purely biological. Nobody can help it.
    Loose clothes are great and comfortable, but they do have that one downside of disorganizing your private parts. I for one am not too proud to admit I regularly readjust my "junk". But yeah, this is something you should do while nobody is watching. Those who do it in public do it for the shock value/attention. Again, purely biological.
    Never have kids. Ever. I'm begging you.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's a load of crap. Of course it can be helped. It should be too. Bullies end up messing up their lives very early on if they aren't helped.

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

And you think having your child subjected to seeing other people wearing baggy pants is going to be more psychologically damaging than his parents interrupting his day in front of his friends to make sure he's alright? I mean, you don't think that would cause the bullying your child would have to put up with to be even worse?

@shotglass: Bullying isn't biological. It's a terrible thing to do committed by kids who aren't well-adjusted enough to leave other people alone.

18. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Parents don't want to know that their kids have turned into bullies/idiots.

Ignorance is bliss.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My god, alot of you guys need to go back and review the end of The Breakfast Club, especially the part where the principle is talking about how the kids have changed.

20. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Don't mistaken your growth for their lack of growth. It's all relative. Pretty soon you'll look back at people who are your age now and think the same thing.

21. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I can't agree more.

22. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

You might have misunderstood me. The reason we bully other people is rooted deeply in our biology, and we can't help that people will always have a biological "reason" to bully other people. This doesn't mean that they should pick up on that and be mean to others, but still, the underlying cause of bullying cannot be removed.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- we all understood you perfectly. Bullying is the result of kids who have serious self-esteem issues. Many times, these kids are neglected or abused at home. Bullying is NEVER OK, and is s sign of deeper problems.

24. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

It never is, you're right. However you always have some person or animal taking up on other person or animal in a group.