Do people ever turn off their iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoleo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do they need to be turned off? I know people who have never needed or wanted to turn it off.

I personally haven't turned off my iPhone since I got it.

Is that a bad thing?

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

there is no reason to turn it off. Sometimes when I sleep near my iphone I will set it to airplane, but other than that, there's no reason.

3. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

As a college student, the only time I have ever turned off my iPhone was during midterms and finals because I'm paranoid like that.

But honestly, I don't see the point of turning it off. Even if you turn it off before charging, it turns back on. I don't think it does the phone any harm by not turning it off.

4. JAT macrumors 603

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It probably doesnt make much difference but I restart mine like once a week or so.
    To clear out the memory and I feel it runs a little better/smoother after a reboot.
    Kinda like a computer where after leaving it on for so many days it starts to run a little slower and buggier.

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I've never turned my phone off, I see no need to.

7. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

powering off does clear application memory, so yes it is beneficial to do from time to time.

8. Rennir macrumors 6502

I turn mine off when I charge it because according to Battery University (seems like a credible and knowledgeable source), it helps the charging process. In order to get it to turn off, the important thing is to turn the phone off after you plug it into the charger. If you do it before, sure enough, it'll turn on after the charger gets plugged into the wall. However, if you do it afterwards, that is no longer the case.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Every night i turned it off. Didnt need it making noises by vibrating and such. Sure i could turn those off but if im turning something off all the imte, may as well be the phone. I turn off my Vibrant every night too. Dont use either of them for an alarm.

10. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I bet none of you knew this: but if you plug your iPhone in to charge, THEN turn it off, it stays off.

And it charges.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I never turn any of my phones or computers off, and they're all fine :) In my experience there's nothing wrong with leaving electronic devices on all the time.

12. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

No it isn't it might be a goo idea one in a while to clear out ram but not every night.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I turn it OFF every night. It's just by habit, nothing to do with conserving.

14. /user/me macrumors 6502

How do you know your phone doesn't turn back on?

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've had every phone since the beginning - and I've never turned any of them off. I just don't see the need.

17. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

18. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Because I've watched it.

iPhones, when you connect it to power, it turns on.

Connect it to power

then turn it off

And it will charge.

I didn't even know that- it might save your battery in the long run.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Probably the only phones I've ever deliberately turned off on a regular basis were the Blackberries I owned in the past, and only because they had an auto-off/auto-on function, where you could set times where it would automatically power off and on.

And I got absolutely no benefit at all out of doing that. In fact I ended up missing one or two family/work emergencies when the calls rolled straight to voicemail.

There's no benefit to turning the iPhone off, so I don't bother. I just reboot in the rare instances that it needs it.

20. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mine gets shut down about once a month or so....apart from that I tend to also use airplane mode when charging.

Used the same policy with my 4 and that's still in great condition.

21. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol you think you are the only person that knew this?! And no I don't turn off my phone.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I have never turned off a mobile phone that I'm currently using and if it ever comes to that, I will not buy one that you have to constantly turn off; it defeats the principle of having a mobile phone. No issues with any mobile, including the iPhone.

23. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

Yes. My instructor does not allow cell phones in class. She tells us to turn off our phones. I turn off my phone everyday when in class. I turn it back off when leaving her class.

24. /user/me macrumors 6502

I was more pointing out the fact that you said you've never turned your iphone off, yet know that it stays off like that. :p