Do people have no shame? What is with the culture of e-begging today?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MRxROBOT, Jan 15, 2017.

1. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

How do you react to somebody begging you for money from a site like patreon. I've just ignored the requests so far but it's now the 5th time I've been asked. In one day it was through 3 different mediums: e-mail, text, and chat. The fact is, I'm just not interested in supporting an acquaintances career.

What do you do or what would you do?

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Got spammed 5 times and now you are in need of a safe space ????

3. Three141, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

E-begging lol

I've not experienced that one, i'm more fed up of the office charity nuts, (yes, I'm a grinch apparently), every year they try and shake you down.

I give to charity or directly to rough sleepers, privately and quietly my preferred method.

4. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

That's what PRSI is for right? :D

5. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

??? Show us an example of what you mean?
    I support a few people on youtube via patreon because I like the shows they put out. I would rather donate $10 a month to that over giving money to some drunk/druggy on the corner.

6. MRxROBOT, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

This person is a self proclaimed "starving artist". They paint and draw fauna, animals, that sort of thing. i don't really like their art, certainly not enough to hang on a wall. The latest message went like this:

Me: Are you heading to so and so place?
    Them: I would, but no money. You haven't pledged as one of my patrons yet?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2017 ---
    I hate that too. I mean put a memo out and be done with it and those that want to donate will. People shouldn't be shamed or pressured into that sort of thing.

7. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

Quite frankly it sounds like this person is the kind of jerkass I would not want in my life.

I'd say the wisest choice is ignore them.

Of course that's the wisest choice, not what I would do: since you asked, I would set out to at least embarass them publicly somehow.

They shouldn't, but people are jerks.

To be honest the bit that offends me is that this person proclaims his/herself a "starving artist".

I would sooner consider giving money to a poor kid who needs to be supported through medical school or something, not to a "starving artist".

That's factually incorrect: this person is an unemployed person that cultivates art as a hobby.
    An "artist" is somebody who makes money selling his/her art and takes commissions.

Turns out I'm an "artist" in that sense as well, except that I also have a real job, so there's that :p

8. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

I should also note that this person is not poor enough to not be able to afford the latest iPhone. :rolleyes:

9. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

So what you says is they are really poor?
    I have been held up behind someone at the store buying a lot of food but had to be rung through twice because they couldn't buy the Charcuterie and expensive cheese on the same bill as the other items they were buying with food stamps(EBT card). When I left the store I got to watch this couple drive off in a decked out ~2015 chevy 2500HD. Oh I forget to mention the one paying for the food was talking on an iPhone 7+ the whole time.

10. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Whoops double negative.

I meant they shouldn't be purchasing a $700+ phone and then complain about being broke to me and further beg me for money.
    At least they didn't ask you to help pay for the check out ;)

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Patreon is used by the podcasts I listen to on the way to work and many open source projects. It's a decent way to pull in a bit of cash to help out. Did you think these things were free to produce?

12. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

I'm not sure where that came from as I'm not knocking patreon or its value to podcasts or open source projects.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are knocking them informing their audience that there is a way to fund their work though.

14. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Nope. I don't want this person's art. I don't have any inclination to help support them. I see there constant e-begging irritating and that's what I'm knocking, not the platform itself.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Okay here's what you do if you don't want to support their work: don't donate.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't really mind people asking for charity donations in the right context- like a friend raising money for a Multiple Sclerosis event. Donations in exchange for services such as a podcast may be annoying but not unexpected and entirely reasonable.

The GoFundMe campaigns begging for a new Audi for a 16 YO or carribean vacation just because they want it is ridiculous and sickening. Honestly I think it takes a lot of nerve to flat out request money for your own luxury purchases like that.

17. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Thanks!

18. villicodelirant macrumors 6502

villicodelirant

I'm sorry, but I find OP's case to be worse.
    I mean, if there were enough suckers willing to buy me a Ferrari (which I can't afford with what I'm paid) I'd totally set any dignity I have aside.

This is a matter of somebody demanding money because they don't want to work because they are under the delusion that they are "artists", thus commanding less respect from me than a common mugger.

19. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

When I first moved to Cleveland, Oh in the late eighties, it was going into winter, and I was scraping to get by. At the grocery store, there was a woman wearing a full length fur coat paying for groceries with either welfare or WIC coupon, then proceeded to walk out to her Cadillac. I cannot tell you how friggin pissed off that made me.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Don't go to those kinds of sites.

I don't. And nobody emails, texts, or chats me for funds.

Ah-mazing.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm ignorant on Patreon, but I looked it up and the site seems to be about raising money, ie selling things online? What kind of things (content) I'm not sure about. Maybe that's accepted for that site, due to it's nature? What are the terms and conditions and are they violating site rules? You may just have to get out your blocking tools or avoid going there.

22. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Personally I think resource pooling is a good thing and potentially keeps projects and products more grounded in original intent and artistic integrity rather than always selling out to venture capitalists and corporations.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think the issue is unwanted solicitation?

In the video gaming industry, the defacto standard seems to be moving towards raising money by releasing games in alpha/beta stages and get people to sign/pay up early.

24. MRxROBOT thread starter macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

You misunderstood the post, this isn't about unsolicited contact from shady sites. Rather, acquaintances or friends e-begging for funds via these sites.
    Exactly, but it's not spam from a random company in you inbox. This is somebody you know, essentially e-begging you to support them. You become their "patron".

25. Altis macrumors 68020

What amazes me is how many crowdfunding projects are scams.

It makes sense since individuals are more likely to part with their money than investors who do research. I've seen people support things that aren't even physically feasible.

I suspect there's no getting your money back when projects turn out to be a scam (don't deliver).