Do people just believe in anything?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I've always had a problem understanding why seemingly otherwise intelligent people can believe in things that I'm confident are untrue. Not just religion, but people who go fortune tellers or read their horoscopes. This whole "faith" thing always bothered me. I accepted that thousands of years ago, people didn't know better and we didn't have the knowledge we have now to disprove a lot of this stuff. But people today? Educated people? Still believing in stuff just cause mommy and daddy did.....
    Anyway, today on facebook, my aunt shared two posts that looked suspicious to me, so I googled them and saw that they were old rumors, one from back before facebook when people just emailed this crap around. And I started thinking, why did she do that? One, was because she was concerned about people's safety, so she shared a post about always dialing 211 from your cell. But 211 doesn't work here in the USA. So, without thinking or checking, she was actually sending out bad advice. The other was an old rumor about some kid who tries to adopt puppies from shelters, just to use them in dog fights. you should see the comments: if I found this kid, I would beat the **** out of him. But its not true. Imagine if someone did find a kid who looked like him (yup, there was a picture) at a shelter and beat him up...
    So, my question is... WTF?!??! Do people just need to believe in whatever sounds good? Do we just spread lies, thinking they are the truth, to feel better about ourselves? We have people sitting at machines that can tell them the truth about things in SECONDS and they still don't check the truth of what they are spreading.....I don't get it...

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

While I am not certain of the context that your aunt used in her post, there is a 2-1-1 service used across the country.

http://www.211us.org/index.htm

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/dial-211-essential-community-services

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You don't have to look any further than PRSI. People post claims all the time without taking the few moments to check to see if they are accurate or not.

I think people are inclined to construct world views using "evidence" that echoes how we already feel while ignoring or brushing off that which contradicts it. And as you note, pass poor information off as accepted fact without taking the time to investigate it.

That's just the way people tend to operate.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Well that was just an example and not meant to be the end all be all, however, she said if you get pulled over and aren't sure if the unmarked car is really a cop or not, you call that number and get the "real" police. That number doesn't work everywhere, it is for community services and 911 always gets to the real police.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I am not sure why anyone would call anything but 911 in that situation. Telling people to call 211, 311, or any other number is silly.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is one reason I don't do stuff like Facebook.

But my daughter posts pictures of our grandkids there, and my wife has an account, so occasionally I take a look. And yes, I see the kind of stuff the OP is talking about.

Just today I learned that hidden in the "Obamacare" law is a provision that will force all of us to have RFID chips implanted in our hands, so the government can track us. :rolleyes: Below the post were indignant comments indicating people's intention to refuse to allow this atrocity to be done to them. It wasn't until the fifth or sixth comment that somebody said "Really? Are people stupid enough to believe this??" and linked back to the refutation at Snopes for the tin foil hat crowd.

I know a guy who's a big conspiracy theorist. According to him, Obama is to blame for everything, probably including the meteor that fell on Russia. This guy does a call-to-arms public access show so that he can spread the word. He has guests on his show, so I know there are more like him around my area. He's comically funny, if you can ignore the fact that he's a raving paranoiac.

Used to be the crazy guy in the crowd was standing alone on a downtown corner with a paper sign, being ignored by everyone. Now on public access or the internet the same guy is a star and has a following.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Likewise.

Cancelled my membership over two years ago ... found it an incredible waste of time.

Not like here.

This is time well spent.

;)

9. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Information technology and social media have given the truly unique (ok, whack jobs) among us the ability to reach right out and tweak the discourse. Instead of having to find each other by word of mouth, they are able to interbreed and multiply online. This must surely be Obama's fault. He has single-handedly infused our nation with the evil known as "ain't nobody gettin' everything they want."

Unfortunately, the only way to combat this evil is through my proprietary insertable RFID tag, available now. :rolleyes:

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Still a bitter apple huh?

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Life would've been so much better if we had the guy who couldn't manage his campaign without overspending to hell and back or keep his stories straight between different groups of people in office.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

He doesn't have to keep his stories straight, people will believe anything...

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

See what you did there?

:D

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Bitter? Nope.

Kein Mehrheit Für Die Mitleid. That's more of what I am feeling.

15. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, well get used to it. I have no buyers remorse so I don't need your pity. You're gonna have to get used to that feeling because there's currently only one electable party in this country. The other party committed suicide for some reason.

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

L. Ron Hubbard thought so. Can you disprove it?

17. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

See my other thread please.
    I cannot. I am very curious about it though.

18. AhmedFaisal, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  19. Renzatic, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Hey, you can't blame us for this one. He's referring to KMFDM, a band that I'm at least fairly sure you've heard of if you were 13 years old at some point during the early-mid '90's.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Big time fail...

See post above this one...

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

22. citizenzen, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think they care,

I just think it's (sometimes) hard to tell the difference.

23. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

People do believe anything, People are easily fooled and manipulated
    Listen to todays' music a Bunch of Trash sweeping across in more than one music genera , I'm sitting here waiting for the NBA All star game and some weird singer is performing , the lyrics , the make up ........... Where is the ART? People line up, wait and bounce around to this weird stuff? I just don't get it .... no wonder about 5% or so control all the wealth in this country , I believe about the same or even less control wealth worldwide

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Sorry bub but that was global warming.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eor-hurtling-Earth-result-global-warming.html