Do people know this? (internet, TV, radio, etc. censored)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TSE, Oct 24, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I was just thinking, do people in, China for example, know that their internet, TV, radio, etc. is censored?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you aware to the full extent yours is?

3. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

To answer the OP's question. I'd say yes they know.

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

5. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The general public in China is aware, and actually supports the censorship of their media. They have strict moral standards and they believe it is the government's responsibility to enforce morality on the general population. I personally think that's not such a bad idea.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The problem with that is when you and I disagree on what's moral.

7. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

So do you think it might be possible we are censored and we don't know it?

8. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The real question is... Do you take the red pill or the blue pill?

Sarcasm is oft lost on the internet my friend. It's one thing for the government to ENFORCE moral standards, and yet another for them to ENCOURAGE immorality. Ethics and Morals are indeed two separate things. But one would hope that our society in general does not stray too far from either.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. Because if a huge chunk of the internet was censored to people in the US, someone surely would've heard about it from a friend who lives outside of the country or discovered it while traveling internationally. I'm sure the Chinese are well aware of what lies outside the Great Firewall of China.

10. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

For sure. Some hackers are able to get around it (I've heard).

11. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

As reporters during the Olympics were able to get around it. Using a program like Tor is actually quite simple, if not time consuming, and can get around most WAN firewalls.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Source?

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you stay in a Western hotel, the "Great Firewall" basically doesn't exist, though I'm not sure on the level of censorship outside those kinds of places.

To be honest though given that China Daily is less bias than Fox News (at least in English) I doubt its anywhere near as bad as people living in the West think.

If you want to see the level of censorship on Google searches for example, visit Google.cn and compare the results to Google.com. Obviously if you search for "Tiananmen square" you aren't going to get lots of pictures of tanks on the Chinese version, but if you search for "Obama" you basically get the same results.

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I've been alive in Japan for the past 20-some years now. I understand some stuff about the "oriental mind" before and after "Americanizing" their culture. There is indeed an extremely deep shyness combined with a strong sense of moral integrity inherent in them that would cause them to want to "filter content" on mass for the masses, of the masses, by the masses.

But China is a huge place. I don't think any one person can guess all of the other culturally inherent variables that would go into actually making a "group decision" by all the thousands of different communities and ethnicities that speckle the land in great and diverse variety. Polling is bogus and doesn't work - for sure!

That said knowing about it and supporting the decision are two slightly different things. I guess 100% of the literate populous do not know what exactly is being filtered. 95% of the literate populous do not know what general topics are filtered nor why. Between 40% and 60% of the literate populous do not know anything about the topic or maybe just heard it mentioned in passing once upon a time.