Do People Still Want/Buy the Xserve 3,1 (2 CPU)?

wiredbrother

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
The title says it all. Are people still interested? Is this a product that people still want to buy? Would it be more appealing if the fans were replaced with quiet fans?

Interested in what you guys think

hobowankenobi

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I expect a niche, shrinking market.

• It's big.
  • It's loud.
  • It's a room heater (uses alot of electricity).
  • It runs an outdated OS.
  • It doesn't do what most folks want servers to do: easily run lots of VMs.

I'm sure there are still some that would use it for specific services, and could stretch it a few more years.

Clock it ticking though...

Ludacrisvp

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
I expect a niche, shrinking market.

• It's big.
  • It's loud.
  • It's a room heater (uses alot of electricity).
  • It runs an outdated OS.
  • It doesn't do what most folks want servers to do: easily run lots of VMs.

I'm sure there are still some that would use it for specific services, and could stretch it a few more years.

Clock it ticking though...
I think if flashed to a 5,1 cMP it would resolve the last 2 bullet points especially if CPU swapped to dual x5690 and loaded with RAM.

But certianly a small market.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
There will always be collectors that want it for sure. It’s an aesthetically beautiful piece of server hardware that really is unmatched in design... If it wouldn’t be such a major hit on my electric bill, I’d love to find a way to have one do something practical.

Does anyone know of anyone that has ever tried to gut one and put modern server hardware in? Could you shoehorn a cheap, yet still far more modern, 1U Dell Power Edge into an XServe I wonder?

hobowankenobi

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
There will always be collectors that want it for sure. It’s an aesthetically beautiful piece of server hardware that really is unmatched in design... If it wouldn’t be such a major hit on my electric bill, I’d love to find a way to have one do something practical.

Does anyone know of anyone that has ever tried to gut one and put modern server hardware in? Could you shoehorn a cheap, yet still far more modern, 1U Dell Power Edge into an XServe I wonder?
I would expect you could...as the form factor is the same. Big challenges would include getting the front drive trays and power buttons/lights to work.

I actually have a early G5 Xserve that one day will be a fabulous coffee table. :)