Do people who use more than 2GB data have access to wifii at work/school?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Feb 9, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just wondering.

I looked at my data usage. And I am on my phone quite a bit. But I average between 500mb-800mb a month. Only time I even went over 2GB was when I was purposely streaming Netflix to run down my battery to test the phone out.

So if you are a high data user.

1. Do you have access to wifi at work/school
    2. Does your workplace block wifi or certain sites on work computers and that's the reason you use so much data?

As for me. I am a physician in the hospital and surgery center. Cell phones use are not allowed in the operating rooms and patient care areas.

Staff can use their cell phones in the break room. It's understood staff can use their cell phones for "quick check of things" or "quick texts". No one makes a big deal unless they are just abusing it.

So it's really hard for staff to use their smartphone's data while at work. They have wifi access. But there is computer access also. YouTube Facebook Netflix Amazon Ebay Craigslist and a few other sites are blocked on both wifi and the computers.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Using an average of 9Gb per month, yes my work and home has WiFi. But my home internet connection has a low data cap and I'm rarely on my work's unreliable wireless. Because the WiFi is never turned on and I do most of my data usage when commuting, I run up a high amount.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I do not have data at work, but I use very little there anyway. I do have it at home and school, so that offsets the use. I still hover around 2-3gb a month. I stream music on the way to and from school. The lighter months I will have used Pandora a lot (still shocked at the sound quality produced through such a small data stream). I rack up a ton more using Google Music. We also use Waze (sup fun GPS app... yes I said fun!) a lot and load webpages for things like coupons, deals, where to eat, etc. while on the go. I would say all of that only consumes maybe 25% of my limit. The large chunk is certainly content streaming.

4. tl01 macrumors 65816

I use more than 2GB of data on occasion. I'm a stay at home mom. I have wifi at home but am rarely near wifi when I'm out. When at home I use wifi. During the day, I am usually running around to playgroups, soccer practices, and errands. My days rarely involved sitting at places like Starbucks where there is free wifi.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

There's another category that you didn't list... those who have WiFi available, but can't/ won't use it for various reasons.

Even if WiFi were accessible to me at work, I'd be extremely hesitant to use it. The idea of my job being able to see what sites I was viewing would keep me using 3G.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I usually hover around 3-4GB a month, and I have wifi almost everywhere I am, except work. I don't use the wifi at school because of the stupid log in process; it's ok on a computer, but annoying on a phone. I use wifi almost exclusively at home though.

My parents though, are fine with a 500MB plan (Dad) and a 100MB plan (Mom). They are on wifi all the time and they hardly use data when they are out.

7. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I have a great wifi connection at home. Problem for me is that I don't work from home.
    I'm an electrician, this is my week of use:
    Monday-Thursday out the door at 7 am after downloading podcasts via iCatcher over wifi, listen to those on the way work while using google maps to find the job. Depending on the job, I have headphones in or iP4S hooked up to a job site stereo and listening to Slacker/iTunes Match via radio for 4-5 hrs. Through the day I get 50-100 texts, most iMessage, 10-20 emails( some have attachments 5mb>).
    Update invoices via different apps all using data, use Square 4-5 times a week. Play turn based games throughout the week during breaks, read via Zite or Flipboard.

Download plans/contracts via Dropbox. Instagram and tweet pics of jobs.

After work I'm at my local gym for a 1-2 hr workout... Listening to Slacker again.

Sometimes after work or on the weekend in the car, Slacker, Pandora or iTunes Match maybe used for music

I hit 4-6gb a month...

8. antman2295 macrumors 6502

Have wifi, but At&t is usually much faster, plus I have the 4gb plan so I use it, and tether.

9. Daveoc64, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

My University has Wi-Fi available, but you have to login to a web page to use it.

That means that if I'm around the campus, my phone would try to connect to it but would be unable to actually send/receive data until I logged in.

That's not good for email or push notifications.

That's why I only use it when iOS forces me to (like downloading a 20MB+ app).

I can't connect my Kindle to the University Wi-Fi network either because it uses a proxy (the Kindle doesn't support them). That means that I use the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone to connect the Kindle.

I used just over 2GB last month.

I always use Wi-Fi at home. 50mbps down/5mbps up through cable is much better than a mobile connection

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

My last job had wifi, but it was for the patients--not the employees. So when I wanted to listen to streaming radio, I used my unlimited data.

11. Exhale macrumors 6502

No eduroam network in your area?

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Some do. Some do not. It's not a single cause like you're making it out to be.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Question 1..Yes, most places I work have wifi, so I don't have to worry about data.

Q2: Nope....Musicians are spoiled, I don't know of any studio that caps or restricts it's Wifi access.

Boy, did I notice it at Christmas though (I was away and no Wifi was available) The bill was a shocker!

14. RoyWill macrumors member

Just checked my records and I am using 4-5GB per month!! I need an UNLIMITED plan!!

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I pretty much only have wifi at home. I'll hit a restaurant wifi every now and then, but by and large my life is wifi at home and 3G the rest of the day.

16. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I have wifi on home. My big data uses are at work and my commute to/from work (I stream Pandora in the car.)

That being said, I should close out this month somewhere around 4-5 GB. Hooray Sprint!

17. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm not on AT&T and have a 6GB data plan and go over 2Gb every month. I have wifi at home but the router is crappy and it doesn't reach my room -.- There's also wifi at my university but I usually leave it off and use 3G to save some battery (unless I;m in a certain class that has poor signal, then I'll use wifi).

I commute 2 hours every day though and stream music or videos during that time so that's where most of my data is used

18. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I have wifi on home. My big data uses are at work and my commute to/from work (I stream Pandora in the car.)

That being said, I should close out this month somewhere around 4-5 GB.

No access to wifi at work.

19. cynics macrumors G3

I'm on Verizon so I normally have slow data speeds on 3G. So I'd never use more then 500 or so mb.

What I decided to do since I drive all day is set my 4g LTE tablet to a wifi hotspot and use that.

Since I'm on Verizon I can't do talk and data at the same time but you can if you are hooked to wifi. So I get that, crazy fast LTE speeds and better battery life.

Because of that I end up using around 1500 mb on the tablet and virtually nothing on the iPhone.

Then of course I use my home wifi.