Do people without jobs have an advantage when voting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

And if so isn't this biased towards democrats?

By the time I would have got out of rush hour traffic I would have had to run to the polling area to cast a vote.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You couldn't go before work?

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Many European countries have fixed polling days on a Sunday to address this very issue.

Other countries have extended the hours the polling stations are open for - in my country they now open at 7 a.m. and close at 10.00 p.m.

4. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm a democrat, with a job, and 2 kids who have busier lives than i do, and I managed to vote.

Early voting helps, that's for sure. And even then I had to go 4 times because the lines were so darned long.

Also, the implication that democrats don't have jobs is just stupid and ignorant.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or mail in? or Absentee?

What she said.

BL.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

At my polling area, it's like a 5 minute wait any time of the day. But there is plenty of other polling areas in NY with long lines. Probably the same in every state and city. IMO, as long as the time frame is good enough, I don't see a problem. My state is up to 9pm, which is more than enough time to make the line.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Not just Democrats are unemployed :).

8. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

9. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's not what I proposed, I said "biased" as in there are more unemployed democrats than republicans, two of the democrat voting blocks, blacks and Hispanics, have unemployment rates 2-4x higher than whites who would be more likely to be Republican.

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Please do tell us more, these viewpoints of yours are priceless.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

A significant number of states have laws requiring employers to give you time off to vote if you don't have adequate time before or after work.

12. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes you have not looked at the red states the poorest and least employed people.

13. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That's not a viewpoint, it's unemployment statistics and observations on voting blocks that belong to a particular political affliliations.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2016 ---
    Many of those unemployed are not republicans.

14. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

your bridge called, it feels lonely with you not underneath it and asks you please come back.

Also if it means that much you to you...take an hour or 2 of leave. I do this quite often for many things. Work has had crap blown up just as I am about to do my 10 minute scramble to an appointment/personal life event. Pissed off the wife many times being late or not there. So now I put in a leave request...either that blow up happens with a nice hour buffer to resolve (cancel leave if the case). Or I get an hour to kill, not always a bad thing really.

If work that strict or not giving out the leave hours...since we are stereotyping you may want a democrat to win. Since all soft and not good capitalists , they'd have the bleeding heart to give you some slack time in your work schedule.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you seem to omit all of the statistics for every political affiliation.

Your bias is clearly showing, and is failing you.

BL.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Dude when you have a hard core conservative telling you that you are being dumb. That should be your clue.

17. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not sure what you are talking about here. Polls of welfare recipients (thus unemployed) trend toward democrats, I am simply wondering if it has an effect on voting because people can't get off of work.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet you say nothing about unemployed Republicans, Independents, or otherwise who would have the same "advantages" of voting.

Yet you only bring up Democrats.

My previous statement stands: your bias is showing and failing you.

BL.

19. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It's a valid question for those who can't get to the polls on time.
    That's not the point at all, the voting block with the most free time on their hands would possibly have an edge whilst voting.

20. chown33 macrumors 604

Arithmetic Exercise:
    If there are half as many blacks as whites, and black unemployment is double that of white, then how many unemployed of each color will vote? Assume 100% voter registration and turnout.

Applied Math Exercise:
    Find the real-world numbers and post them, with sources.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You don't get that every voting block who is unemployed would have that same edge. Yet you only single out Democrats.

Your bias is showing.

BL.

22. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you have a country split 50/50 blue and red and then have 60% of one block employed and 50% of another block employed there would be a bias towards one side having more time to get to the polls.
    This doesn't work in your favour. Whites are mostly split 50/50 Dems to repubs, blacks vote like 95% democrat and have highest unemployment, Hispanics are probably 75% democrat and have second highest unemployment.

23. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Where do retirees/senior citizens fit into this? Because, you know, a lot of them are "unemployed" too.

24. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They would technically not be unemployed, but rather retired. Not the same thing. Also they have mobility issues which may cause biases as well.

25. chown33 macrumors 604

The Arithmetic Exercise was just that: an arithmetic exercise.

The second one, of course, relies on real-world demographics. Which at this point you're just guessing at. Put some real supportable numbers on it, and it might be taken for more than idle speculation.

Real-world demographics also have to account for differences in registration rates between demographic groups. Want to guess what those are?