Do politicians in your country oppose ideas just because the other team suggested it?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kylera, Nov 14, 2015.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

In a word "NO"

The Netherlands is consensus politics to it's core. Polder Model
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polder_model

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

It feels like they do here; but I think both sides in our government are too stubbornly set on their sides for whatever reason.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

In the US they do, for example the ACA was very similar to the Republican healthcare plan in the 1990's but once the Democrats suggested it the Republicans changed to being against it. I'm sure there are similar instances of the Democrats doing similar things although nothing comes to mind right away.

6. whodatrr, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

My politicians are paid to vote in the exact opposite way as their opposing party - this is now the only thing they actually do. They can't be bothered to actually learn about issues, because that would interfere with memorizing talking points and fund-raising. I live in America.

Job Description of an American Politician:
    • 60% - Fund Raising
    • 30% - Memorize and regurgitate talking points
    • 10% - Vote exactly as your party leadership tells you

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The ACA is not only similar, it IS the HEART act of the early 90's. The only difference is that the ACA had more specifics of how to actually administer it, while the HEART act was largely symbolically laying out the principles of the plan.

Either way, it's a corporate giveaway and yet another way to delay the USA from joining the civilized world in healthcare for another few decades.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In every multi-party democracy, yes. But not in one-party states like North Korea.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

Why even have a legislature, then? Why not just elect a king every once in a while? There's no need to spend money on the knowledge pooling advantages of a large legislature if debate is merely pro forma.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes.

And then they complain because the other side won't compromise.

It's magical.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

What I've noticed increasingly a political party aligning itself with the "enemy" of its opposing party, without regard to where that enemy is headed.