iPhone X Do price drops after new releases impact used phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zgotts, Jul 15, 2019.

1. zgotts macrumors newbie

I am finally ready to take a step up from my iPhone SE. I was holding out for an update of the SE, but it looks like that's not coming for a while, if ever. I love the small form factor but I also want to get a top-notch camera.

I am currently looking at purchasing a pre-owned iPhone X (64gb) for $600 after tax. This seems like a great deal, and I think I'm going to jump on it, but I am wondering if the cost of refurb / pre-owned iPhone X will go down after this September's release of the new phone.

Any thoughts here? Thanks.

2. chrfr macrumors 604

Of course the price will go down as the iPhone X becomes 2 generations out of date.

3. now i see it macrumors 68040

as time goes by, all used iPhone prices drop. The longer you wait, the cheaper they'll get. But most used iPhones don't have new batteries, so as time goes by, you're getting a worse condition battery. I guess the price reflects that

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

1rottenapple

Free market, supply demand. Excess supplies of people selling depresses the price. I’ve bought and resold iPhones since 2007 and somewhere after the 6 cycle that’s when I noticed iPhones do not command the same price as before. Before I could resell my unlocked 2g, 3, 4, 5, 5s, after 1 yr of ownership and I could regain 80% of the original price. Now it’s normal to lose more than 50% of the original purchase price.

The 2, 3, 4 were all jail break unlocked.

Back then when at&t was the only carrier doing an unlock jailbreak for T-Mobile was extra value added to the phone. Definitely like the current situation. T-Mobile was on edge speeds lol. Less than 3g speeds.

5. brenard macrumors newbie

Yes, the price will drop but not much. To me, Iphones have a soild price retention.