Do Republicans deserve to use the term "Pro Life"?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 8, 2012.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I surely don't think so. It seems that Republicans are more concerned with the unborn vs the babies and children that already were born.

How can you speak pro life and be against the same life you claim to be saving? Force a women to give birth against her will only to take away a health care reform that would insure the same child's interests. That doesn't sound right at all.

Allowing and fighting to preserve weak gun regulations in plenty states which in many cases lead to a child's death. Last major example in Aurora. Where does "Pro Life" fit here? :confused:

In most cases, it's the Republicans taking away the programs, cutting funds to schools, and etc: from the kids in communities that need it the most.

The logical stereotype towards a party that's so much against abortion would be a party that stands by children from the most privileged down to the most needy. You would think that they wouldn't be so quick to send troops as young as 17yrs old into war. You would expect them to focus more on educating our youth vs building more jails/prisons. But nope, the Republicans are the complete opposite. They have no real interest in giving the average middle or lower class kids the best opportunities, but yet they fight so freaking hard to make sure they are born. They rather deport striaght A students back to his/her war torn or dangerous country of origin even though they have been in America since before they could talk.

I refuse to look at Republicans as "Pro Life". "Anti Abortionist" is a more fitting term.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The same can be said for Liberals on the Death Penalty.

They have no problem killing an unborn baby that could have had a great life and contributed to society. A murderer who has admitted to raping and killing multiple people, cant kill them, that is just wrong.

3. q64ceo macrumors regular

When Republicans talk about being pro-life, they are highly specific in their definition. It is not a blanket term that covers a lot of positions; it only covers one. Republicans dont call themselves "Pro-life" if they are against the death penalty.

4. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

That's not true. Especiallly since they use religion as reference and/or reason for their stance. They do use it in a blanket term.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just as everybody likes to imagine they are the reincarnation of Cleopatra, right-to-lifers like to imagine that every unborn baby is the next Einstein and Mother Theresa combined.

According to some studies, legalized abortion has played a part in the drop in crime rate in the United States ...

Now you are welcome to offer your counter theories as to why these cited studies are wrong ... and I'm not vouching for their validity, I'm only pointing out they they exist. But I hope we can dispense with the overly-optimistic assertion that potential lives only would have resulted in positive ends. Just as in our realized lives there would be some good, some bad and a whole lot more in the mediocre middle.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Technically, someone who is pro-life would have to be anti-death penalty, anti-abortion, and anti-war. With that said, abortion is in the air given the debate that surrounds it, but if you want to be a true person who is pro-life, you have to be consistent...and most people are't.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Problem life is the wrong term. Anti choice is the correct term and he'll more in line with the GOP as they are the group that tends to take away our rights and choices any how.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

As far as I'm concerned abortion is not up in the air, the issue has been decided in 1973 by the supreme court. Therefore no one cares what republicans have to say about it now, they're preaching to their own choir.

----------

As a liberal, I fully support the death penalty.

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't doubt the study to be true, but I am a naturalist an don't believe in life after death, life after life, nothing of the sort.

Ok, now lets apply your arguments to gun deaths instead of abortion...

"According to some studies, legalized abortion has played a part in the drop in crime rate in the United States ..."
    Many of the deaths by legal gun ownership would be someone shooting a criminal entering their home, or performing some illegal act. This could also lower the crime rate.

The same would apply to this quote.
    "Just as in our realized lives there would be some good, some bad and a whole lot more in the mediocre middle."
    All of the deaths by gun violence in the US every year would take the same amount of good, bad, and mediocre. Given that there are a hell of a lot more abortions in the US than gun killings, abortion kills more people. Even if only 50% of those pregnancies would have ended with the birth of a healthy baby, abortion still ends more innocent lives.

10. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I feel the need to scream "POLITICS SUCKS BIG DONKEY" ...

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course the difference is that you consider a fetus a "person" while those who support abortion generally do not. We do not elevate the status of that developing human being to that of personhood, on par with the mother carrying it, and for a limited period of time we grant the mother the opportunity to terminate that life if she doesn't choose to spend the rest of her life caring for it.

Are there more abortions than murders? Absolutely. Do we [pro-choicers] judge those deaths to be on the same level? No. We do not.

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

The point of me calling it murder is that most of the aborted pregnancies would have been healthy babies. I know the whole debate about fetus/human life.

I am pro-choice, pro gun, and pro death penalty... an equal opportunity supporter of murder. ;)

13. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Where is the line drawn? Cause some feel the same about contraception and the morning after pill.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Denying sperm the chance to reach the egg, could that be against the beliefs of pro-life supporters?

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I believe big part is first trimester accept in cases were the mothers life is in danger.

16. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Lots of groups believe this. Catholics, fundamentalists, among others. That's where get silly legislation to replace sex-ed classes with abstinence and purity rings.

These groups also spread misinformation about RU487, the "Morning After" pill, claiming that it's a form of abortion when in actuality, it blocks conception from ever taking place.

17. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"For access to abortion" or "against access to abortion". End the silly debate over terms, they just distract from the actual issue.

18. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The GOP has become a party that is concerned with your rights while you are in the womb, but after that, all bets are off. Gay? Oh...sorry you have no rights. Women? Oh, sorry, we would like to have more control over you. Then yeah, there is that whole death penalty thing which most in the GOP seem to be a fan of. So no, they shouldn't be using the term pro-life. More accurate would be pro-birth.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I am against the death penalty because I believe murders should actually suffer for what they have done. I don't believe one can suffer after death. By allowing them to live they are left with nothing but the remorse for what they have one.

20. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I try to avoid the whole abortion issue. Not that I don't think it is important but because I am male, never had a kid, and it is unlikely I ever could have a kid. Therefore, I feel really unqualified to make any real judgment calls on it.

21. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Many "liberals" object to capital punishment on the grounds that it becomes a spectacle of retribution that fixes nothing. It cannot realistically be shown to function as a deterrent (most punishments fail to act as deterrent because most criminals think they will avoid detection and/or capture). There is also a common belief, valid or not, that the rate of violent crime increases after a publicized execution. So, for some, opposition to capital punishment is a matter of opposition to all form of killing, for others it is wholly an issue of pragmatism.

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Many "people" object to the death penalty because there is gender, racial, and socioeconomic status bias in both who gets sentenced and who gets executed. Forget the questionable affects it has or doesn't have on crime, costs associated

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Bias was the reason the court ordered a moratorium for most of the 70s.

24. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

To me personally, one the egg has been fertilized. The morning after pill stops that from happening.

Being a naturalist, I do not believe in life after death, god, or being judged when you die. Making a person rot in jail makes no sense to me, since when they die, all of those memories go with them. Whether they rot in jail for 20 years and die of old age, or are executed are the same in the end. That person will never have any further role in society, keeping them in jail is just a waste of money.

25. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Life imprisonment is usually the less expensive choice, as the legal rigour required for a capital case tends to incur far more substantial costs than simply incarcerating an individual indefinitely.