Do soldout apple stores carry replacement units?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isaber5, Sep 22, 2012.

1. isaber5 macrumors newbie

I got big dust particle under the screen and nicks on the side. I live in the NYC and there are like 4-5 apple stores here, and I believe they are sold out. Plus, I think they won't do retail swap for me cuz I bought it from verizon. From my experience with iphone 4, their replacement units should be new, not refurbs. Do they already have them in stock or will I have to wait? Should I contact verizon?

2. armyxrays macrumors member

armyxrays

3. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I was going to. Most of them are not open yet(except 24hour one), and I wanted to make genius appt beforehand.

4. armyxrays macrumors member

armyxrays

I think you can make it online? For the record I had a defective iPad 2 at its launch. I went in with a genius appt. The first thing the guy told me is sorry we are sold out. Once he saw the defect (all apps crashed!!!, he handed me a brand new iPad. I'd say they should have some to replace defects.

Oh and I had bought the iPad from Target. It wasn't an issue.

5. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for info!

6. d0minick macrumors 6502

Just got my iphone replaced this morning. They carry new replacements in white boxes

7. imazu macrumors regular

what store?

8. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

was it free of defect? I have appt at 2PM and 4PM at two different store.

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just a word of caution, if you get a warranty replacement from Apple, you will not be able to return the replacement to Verizon should you decide to cancel your Verizon service during their return period. :eek:

Dave

10. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I went to grand central and talked to the genius. Because I got it from verizon, they couldn't swap whole new package, but I got the usual refurb phone(not sure if it was ever used for any testings, etc). The only difference I could notice was it came with about 60% battery. My new phone came with 90% battery.

No dusts, no nicks and dings, but it had minor minor scratch on the silver, and I decided to ignore it. I think this replacement phone is draining battery faster than the original, not 100% sure.

honestly, not very happy with getting phone out of refurb box on day 2, but oh well =/ next time I'm gonna order from apple.com

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I mentioned that in another thread yesterday. I can't stress that enough. Even if you don't cancel service, you would not be able to exchange to a different color or size.

12. acarney macrumors 6502

Are those really refurbs or just white box factory units? I've been told a couple times with replacement iPhones and iPad that they are NOT refurbished, they're right from the factory in china just not in retail packaging (no accessories either).

13. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

for iPhone and iPhone 3G days, I was told they were refurbs. It came in white box. Since iphone 5 is very new, this might not be refurb, but I'm afraid these could be refurb of test phones or something. Not sure why those phones come with low battery level than new ones.

I also had extra step when activating phone. The phone asked me what national carrier I wanted phone to be locked to and it said it can not be undone. This step was not present when I got original phone. Does this message appear when phones are shipped from Apple not carriers?

14. brand, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

How much would it suck to be standing in line for a few days and the see the person in front of you get an iPhone 5 then be told they were out knowing the whole while that they had extras in back.

15. isaber5 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i forgot to mention that the stores I went to today (grand central, 5th ave) both had plenty of iPhones in stock. line at 5th ave was crazy while grand central was less crowded. I feel bad for those who ordered online and waiting until October =/

16. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

That's what I was told too.

17. raam89 macrumors member

yes they do. I got a replacement unit for myself today.

18. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

was it in a white box or retail packaging?

19. ap105 macrumors regular

20. d0minick macrumors 6502

Aventura Miami. It was in a slim white box, the guy next to me got his white iphone 5 replaced for sprint. His wasnt making calls but could text.

----------

a white box like parts would come in.

----------

it had a light leak, it was really noticeable. No scuffs, scratches or hardware issues other then the lcd problem

21. paulclap macrumors newbie

Not refurb

When you get a replacement from Apple so close to the initial release, the units you get are brand new. They don't have any units to refurbish yet so the replacements are new. I've sadly had to do this a few times.

22. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

a white box is not the only option.

i called apple, spoke with them... now i'm getting a black box with all new accessories and new phone with a serial number on the phone that matches the box. not the typical "refurb" white box.

m

23. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Just went thru that today, got 2 Black iPhone 5's both 16 gb no matter what we did, AT&T replaced nano sim, and Apple looked at it, one phone would not connect to LTE. Apple is booked at my store until Wednesday and would not give me a replacement even though a tech guy confirmed the phone is bad, so they said either return it, which we did, or wait until Wednesday to see about a replacement with a genius, or they tell you to call them everyday to see if they got more new ones in stock.

That being said with all the driving we have done to get to our store, we decided to take my 5 and give it to my wife who was coming off a IP4, and I told Apple keep their phone and I will stick with the IP4S until I decide what I want to do, either wait for a Black 32 GB, or go to a Samsung Note II, either way my 4S works perfect and I am fine with it, just not sure Apple handled it well, I think they do such a bad job on these releases, and they covet everything so well, they do not care about customer satisfaction.

From now on if I stay with the iPhone, I will never get one on release day, I will wait until they have stock to get what I want per color and size, this way all this stuff doesn't happen again, as this did with the IP4 release.

24. iridium8 macrumors newbie

replacement iPhone 5

yes, I called AppleCare on Friday right after getting my iPhone 5 because there was a cluster of dead pixels right in the center of the screen. the AppleCare advisor called the 3-4 nearest Apple stores in my area to find a 64 GB black iPhone 5, and he had them hold it for me. I went to the store, and walked out with a new 64 GB black iPhone 5 ten minutes later. couldn't have been any easier. it was a brand new phone they gave me, not a refurb.