Do songs on Watch have to be loaded on phone?

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
When I got my first Apple Watch, you had to load the songs into your phone and then sync then over to the watch. Is that still the case today. I have about 5 gigs of music on my watch that I’d like to delete from my phone but I don’t want to have to redownload and then resync everything, so I figured I’d ask here first. I didn’t see anything on the Apple Watch page if Apple that cleared it up for me

Thanks

jaytee86

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2019
Yea my watch music is totally controlled by the watch app on my iphone. So if the iphone music is deleted i guess the watch will sync that change too..

swandy

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
When I got my first Apple Watch, you had to load the songs into your phone and then sync then over to the watch. Is that still the case today. I have about 5 gigs of music on my watch that I’d like to delete from my phone but I don’t want to have to redownload and then resync everything, so I figured I’d ask here first. I didn’t see anything on the Apple Watch page if Apple that cleared it up for me

Thanks
No. You can just create a playlist on the paired iPhone, select that playlist or multiple playlists in the Watch app on the iPhone and when the Watch is connected to its charger and via BlueTooth or WiFi to the iPhone the songs will be sent to the Watch. When the Watch first came out it seemed it was faster to first download the tracks to your iPhone first - and that might be he case - but it isn’t necessary. But you have to leave the synced playlists on the iPhone - not the actual music files - otherwise the music will be deleted from the Watch.

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
No. You can just create a playlist on the paired iPhone, select that playlist or multiple playlists in the Watch app on the iPhone and when the Watch is connected to its charger and via BlueTooth or WiFi to the iPhone the songs will be sent to the Watch. When the Watch first came out it seemed it was faster to first download the tracks to your iPhone first - and that might be he case - but it isn’t necessary. But you have to leave the synced playlists on the iPhone - not the actual music files - otherwise the music will be deleted from the Watch.
That’s fantastic, thanks for the instructions. I’ll do just that.