Do SSDs need a lot of free space to run well?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badlydrawnboy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm considering an SSD for my MBP. Since they're so expensive, I'm considering a 120 GB drive. I don't store a lot of info on my MBP - I use it mostly as a "terminal" and access my data through the cloud. But I'm wondering if SSDs require a significant amount of free space like normal hard drives do to perform at their best.

For example, would a 120 GB drive slow down considerably if there was 100 GB of data on it?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I think what it boils down to is TRIM or garbage collection.

as macs don't support trim you should get one that has garbage collection.
    other then that i see no issues.

3. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry, I'm pretty uneducated about SSDs. What is garbage collection? I'm considering the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro. Does that have what I need?

4. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

The OWC drives have all you need. Though, if you do not need the SSD now, I would wait until Intel releases their Gen3, which are expected to drop current prices significantly.

5. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Any idea when this may be? My timeframe isn't urgent. If the Gen3 is coming out in a month or two I could wait; if it's going to be 6-12 months, I'd probably go ahead with the OWC.

6. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

If I remember correctly they are due lqter this year.

7. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

you really only have 1 story there buddy, the last 2 use the first source as their reference. Also who the hell is nordichardware seriously, they are just guessing

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1410/1/
    says that intel and sandforce both confirmed release in Q4

also, nowhere on Intel's roadmap says they are doing a 120gb model
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/16/intel_lyndonville/

OCZ has a 120gb model, and it would make sense that they would be releasing after intel. I feel like they got their stories mixed up

8. vant macrumors 65816

I doubt Intel postponed it. They just had their chips at the Sandforce booth last week (Sandforce Controller and Intel 25nm chips).

9. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

I like that Intel is planning a 160 GB. While the 120 GB would probably be enough for me (because I store my data on my Mac Pro and in the cloud), 160 GB would definitely be enough.

Then again, I'm thinking of getting a "Data Doubler" kit from OWC that would allow me to use the existing HD in the MacBook in place of the optical drive, which I rarely use. I burn/rip CDs/DVDs on my Mac Pro when I need to do that.

I could put OS X and all frequently used data on the SSD, and some of the less commonly used stuff on the HD.

Or just wait a couple months for the Intel. Hmmmm.

10. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

you can get by with a 80gb hard drive if you are going that route...also if you want OCZ Vertex 2 or Agility 2 drives are some of the fastest and considered to be one of the best, they are 120gb at like $220-250,

11. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Bare Feats tested a bunch of the SSDs including the OZC drives, and rated the OWC the best of class. I think part of the reason was that Lloyd Chambers rated it the highest after seasoning. In fact he said it was the only SSD drive he recommended as of 4/2010.

But I don't really know what I'm talking about here, so feel free to set me straight.

12. badlydrawnboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Heh. What about two 60 GB SSDs in a RAID 0 in my MacBook? $320 vs $300 for the single 120 GB, and even faster.