Do they ever learn?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Happybunny, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

My brother and I once got stopped by the police for walking with our hoods up, nothing other than that, asked where we'd been and where we we're going, as if it was suddenly their business because my head was obscured from view. The fact is, The police are pretty much arseholes wherever you go.

Incidentally, it was raining, which is why our hoods were up, and we'd both just walked out of our house.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

4. BreakGuy, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

First of all, I'm not racist and I'm certainly not for racial profiling. Secondly, I'm not certain of the British prison statistics, but I'd imagine the percentage of black inmates compared to the general population of the same race is quite high. When your prison stats are like that, it only makes the police and the general public for that matter believe that black people are more likely to commit offenses.

=======
    UPDATE
    Just found an article from The Guardian reporting that black inmates make up 15% of the prison population, yet of the entire general England and Wales population, only 2.2% are black.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

...And you are suggesting this is a cause of racism, or a result of racism?

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

To be honest with you... I don't know. I was just dropping facts on the table and letting everyone make up their own minds on the matter.

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

From a freedom of information request by the Telegraph:

Statistics seem to support some sort of profiling, from a purely pragmatic point of view.

Perhaps politicians like Diane Abbott who seek to speak for 'the Black community' should address the question 'how can we put our house in order' instead of accusing other racial groups of unfairness. :rolleyes:

----------

Approx 11% of Londoners are black, BTW.

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

A large percentage of crime is committed by those from poor backgrounds. A large amount of minority ethnic groups are poor. Therefore it is more likely it is the background and area where the person lives rather than ethnicity.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Profiling doesn't fill jail cells. Crime does. Black people perform a disproportionate amount of the crime and also fill a disproportionate amount of cells. Profiling policies aren't going to help that unless someone suggests we should stop looking for criminals.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

There are poor people of other ethnicities too.

As far as gun crime goes, the Met's "Operation Trident" specifically aims to address violence in Carribean communities (and that operation was set up at the behest of those communities). It would be inaccurate to identify this particular issue as being racial or ethnic - rather it appears to be a cultural carryover of Carribean gang violence.

11. remmy macrumors 6502a

What I was trying to point out was that statistics like that one can be miss interpreted. Saying 15% of the prison population are black does not mean they are there because of their ethnicity. I know people will purposefully mis interpret statistics.