Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antdub22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Chicago
i was wondering do they have the watches out on display .
Like they do the other products. I dont want to swap bands or try diffrent ones on. I just want to play with a display unit to get a feel and see it in person. I looked at appointments and they are booked for a couple of days now

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
i was wondering do they have the watches out on display .
Like they do the other products. I dont want to swap bands or try diffrent ones on. I just want to play with a display unit to get a feel and see it in person. I looked at appointments and they are booked for a couple of days now

yes they do.. i spend about 30 minutes with one alone after my appointment.

antdub22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Chicago
thanks , i was wondering . I already preorder Space Grey Sport 42mm ship date 4/24-5/8 . i just want to see one in person is all. and get the touch and feel of it .

Are they om loop demo mode?? or can you navigate it yourself?

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
thanks , i was wondering . I already preorder Space Grey Sport 42mm ship date 4/24-5/8 . i just want to see one in person is all. and get the touch and feel of it .

Are they om loop demo mode?? or can you navigate it yourself?

it's actual demo model (not loop videos). but it's fixed on the desk, so you can't put them on your wrists (no idea why, it seems stupid to me).

I was able to check out every single icon there (or at least those I cared about).

but it's very limited, Apple store was dead when I was there during noon time yesterday, but expect to fight over people to check them out on weekend

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
you can play with the watch a bit.... but only what the demo mode allows.

i played around with the watch faces, it opens a fake message, calendar, favorites, etc screen.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
it's actual demo model (not loop videos). but it's fixed on the desk, so you can't put them on your wrists (no idea why, it seems stupid to me).

I was able to check out every single icon there (or at least those I cared about).

but it's very limited, Apple store was dead when I was there during noon time yesterday, but expect to fight over people to check them out on weekend

Theft perhaps?

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Do they have the watches out to check out in the store without personal appoi...

Theft perhaps?

I'm generally positive on the Apple Watch but am somewhat cynical about the way the watches are nailed down in the store, suspect it is awaiting an OS performance update. They have plenty of other small expensive items that are merely tethered. Also, the try-on models ARE in a demo loop. I'm afraid they don't want people playing with the OS in real life mode just yet.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The display model lets you feel the back of the Watch, which is nice as the ones used for the try on session run a demo loop that doesn't feature the feeling of the 'tap on the wrist', the ones on display let you feel it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm generally positive on the Apple Watch but am somewhat cynical about the way the watches are nailed down in the store, suspect it is awaiting an OS performance update. They have plenty of other small expensive items that are merely tethered. Also, the try-on models ARE in a demo loop. I'm afraid they don't want people playing with the OS in real life mode just yet.

That's possible. But I'm not sure how nice it would be to have watch displayed like phone. Would you get a good feeling of the thing on your wrist? Would it still require a store employee standing there wiping down each watch after someone tried it on? This certainly will be a learning experience for Apple in terms of what works best.

antdub22

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Chicago
just got back from the apple store . Tried the 42mm sport and stainless steel
the sport band is soft and feels good. I also loved the leather loop in black . will also have to buy that one. didnt have an appointment but they slid me right in . the watches were powered up but they had one that was and played around with the UI . seemed easy to use . i like it cant wait .

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
The display model lets you feel the back of the Watch, which is nice as the ones used for the try on session run a demo loop that doesn't feature the feeling of the 'tap on the wrist', the ones on display let you feel it.

Strange, the try-on I had (two 42 SS models) had the 'notification' vibration working. It may have been separate from the demo loop. Perhaps the associate triggered it? She mentioned it specially to tell me that's what it was but I recognized it, of course.

I'm wondering if the better associates are adding useful things to their own demos, perhaps... Wonder how much flexibility they have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.