Do they not teach about the American Revolution in England?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by todd2000, May 29, 2010.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I was playing some pool online with a guy from England, Essex to be exact. We were chatting and he said something (I can't remember what), to which I responded, "You Brits talk funny :)." So he asked me, and I quote "Why do Americans speak English, their not even close to each other." I said because we were once a Colony of England, thats what the whole American Revolution was all about.

He had no clue what I was talking about! I said "Don't they teach you about it in History class" He said "No." I asked him a few times if he was joking, and he said "Seriously I've never heard of that until now." He said he was 23, so he managed to finish High School, and perhaps College without even knowing what the American Revolution was let alone any facts about it.

I mean I guess Im not expecting it to be as big a part of your History class as it is Ours, but I would think they would at least mention it, being as your Country was kinda involved. :)

So do you not learn about it over there? Are you just mad that you lost? Talk about holding a grudge. :D

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They've got far too much history to get through in school without worrying about a little blip on the radar like the American Revolution.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

England has been around for a long, long time. ;)

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah but getting their asses kicked by a relatively small and disjointed colony that would in the future turn into a superpower with the once-great British Empire as their lapdog? That's a little bit significant don't you think?

Yeah, yeah we got a little help thanks to the French but still. ;)

5. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

Meh, Essex, they are all a bit stupid down there!

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

up through High School here in the US you're lucky if you can get all the way to the past 50 years or so of US History, considering the length and breadth of British History i wouldn't be surprised to see it taught as a blip if and when they ever get to it.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not everyone is that into the whole American exceptionalism thing. It's not America, why would they focus on it in any depth?

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Down there? Essex is in the east. ;)

You live in Nosex.

9. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Most countries don't like to dwell on their defeats, at least not to the kiddies. I've heard that Japanese history books make no mention of Pearl Harbor at all.

10. ethical macrumors 68000

Mel Gibson & Heath Ledger taught me everything I need to know about the American Revolution.

TBH, the guy you were speaking to seems like bit of a plank if he's 23 and wondered why Americans speak English. Please don't take him to be the average Brit, for all our sakes!

But he is in the North....

11. mrochester macrumors 65816

The vast majority of what we learn is decided by the teacher - I did History GCSE and A-Level and we studied Nazi Germany, a bit of Vietnam and The Great Depression (so a bit of American history). I did absolutely nothing about British history really.

12. ethical macrumors 68000

No it's not, it's decided by the exam board. They cover several topics, and the school picks the ones they want to teach. They probably base the decision on which textbooks are the cheapest :p!

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Whats the American revolution?

(I'm serious.)

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

Yes that's what I meant - there's a selection to things to pick from, but it's the teacher that picks. To a pupil, it's the teacher who decides what we learn.

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Essex is very much in the south. Very much. Thankfully, we don't all talk like Essex folk. ;)

When I was in sixth form (between the ages of 16-18), those of us who opted to take history had the choice of two courses. One covered primarily 20th Century history with a European slant, looking mainly at the rise of fascism in Italy and Germany as well as the two World Wars - however, we covered a bit of American history too which mainly focused on the Depression and Roosevelt.

The other course covered the American Revolution, as well as a fair bit of British history including - if I remember rightly - the English Civil War and a fair bit on Elizabethian times. I think the French Revolution was also covered but I'm not sure on that

I should say too that this was 15+ years ago, and I've no doubt that the courses have changed over the years.

Anyway, I took the first option as the subjects covered were of greater interest to me, so I've not had specific teaching on American history. However, I know the basics of the American Revolution as it's just stuff you pick up from various sources.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Neither's nostalgia...

18. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

When I reflect on the quality of some of my teachers they were probably chaffing that they could not indoctrinate us with the glories of the Oktober Revolution. I imagine the Yankee revolution (formented by capitalist running dogs) would have been the last thing on their agenda.

19. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

In Scotland schools teach the wars with England and the highland clearances. Never learned much about English history until the point where we learn about the union.
    World War 1 and 2 are the other big topics.

The American civil war, America in general and even England is not taught in History and if they did it would likely be a single lesson.

20. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

One would think that if they covered the colonial relationships of the 17c at all, the logical conclusion would be the American Revolution. Plus, Britain's relationship with the independent states did not abruptly end after the Revolutionary War (war of 1812, etc.)

I don't want to build it up to more than it was, but calling it a "blip on the radar" is under-emphasizing the economic and symbolic connotations of the war.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It certainly should be covered, along with everything else happening in the eighteenth century. At the time, however, it was only one of many important events in British history, which included the takeover of the entire Indian subcontinent, for example, and wars with France and Spain, the Agricultural Revolution, the colonisation of large swathes of Africa, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, and so on. There's a lot to cover.

22. ethical macrumors 68000

God we were awesome!

23. jrichie macrumors regular

I think any reasonably educated person with some intelligence would be aware of basic American history.

However, as many have said here, it really is a minor issue on the whole of British history.

Anyway, I would learn to live with some humility as Americans, as China is the real superpower now because it owns the USA..... Do they explain that to you at school?

The world changes, Britain is no longer a big player, and now the USA has lost its grip.......

24. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I note how no one has yet mentioned the Native Americans in all of this. Talk about selective myopia. I think it's probably fair to say that every countries educational agenda is flawed and skewed.

25. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

We learn about it a little bit in Canada, but we focus on the British(Canadian)/French point of view.