Do they not teach about the Civil war in America?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dinaluvsApple, May 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

So, i noticed quite a bit of americans[in the south] still dwell upon the fact that they believe there is no such thing as the Union of states.

they like to fly their racist rebel flag like nothing ever happened.

maybe we need to send them a few history books and a couple of stars and stripes to bring them into the 21th century. ;)

edit: i meant the second revolution in the sense

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Please, tell us more about what you noticed.

3. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

You guys lost get over it!

4. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Okay.

I live in the South. And I don't take kindly to people insulting my home.

There are a few people who fly their rebel flags. But it not that black and white - for lack of a better phrase. And it certainly isn't anything even remotely approaching "quite a bit" of people in the South.

A lot of those people have ancestors who fought in the war. A lot fly it for reasons of identification - they're very proud to be from the South. And then there are a very vocal minority who fly it out of spite against other races. Believe it or not, those are the smallest lot of the group.

Now there were seven different flags that flew over the Confederacy. The "rebel flag" that you're referring to is the Confederate Battle Flag. And frankly, the people who insist that the flag stands for Heritage not Hatred...in my ever so humble opinion...are mistaken. During the Civil Rights movement, The flag was flown more often as a symbol of White dominance.

Southerners are a conservative lot. Not necessarily politically, but in the literal definition of the term. They don't really like change. And they certainly don't like change forced upon them. So a lot of folks flew the flag as a symbol of something from the past they could hold onto.

Now personally, I really feel that many of the sincere Confederate admirers frankly lost that symbol to those racist idiots - because they didn't do enough (anything really) to fight to keep it sacred.

I'll even go so far to say that I get a bit annoyed when I see the battle flag being flown. But I will also admit that I feel a certain sense of pride when I see someone flying the Stars and Bars (first Confederate flag). The war wasn't fought just over slavery -- although I will not deny that was a huge part of it. It was fought over a way of life and a sense of pride and identity that was threatened by people who were perceived as outsiders.

But you will find very very very few people in the South who aren't damn proud to be Americans. So please don't insist that we're all a bunch of backwoods idiots who are waiting for this cease-fire in the War of Northern Aggression to hurry up and end...because those types of comments tend to reflect just as much on the accuser.

5. dinaluvsApple thread starter macrumors regular

you made an excellent rebuttal but this was meant to be a satire thread.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In that case, we can stop right here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.