Do turn by turn directions use data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bt22, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bt22 macrumors 6502

I've searched, but can't find an answer. Do turn by turn directions in Apple Maps in IOS6 have to use data to give you turn by turn directions?

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes they do. The maps themselves require a data connection to retrieve and draw, and every time a route is created, it has to go through Apple's servers to generate the route.

Having a full set of maps on your phone can easily take up 1-3GB of space just for the continental US. So it's usually easier (and more up to date) to just have a live data connection give you only the maps you need at the specific time you ask for them.

3. Applejuiced, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but I heard the Apple maps navigation uses very little data compared to google maps or other live map navigation systems. They're saying about 10X less data used for the same usage.
    I like having my maps stored locally like Navigon or Tomtom does but you should be ok.
    It doesnt use that much data.

4. JJHello macrumors newbie

Is there a way to store map data offline for the new Apple Maps?

5. kauffee macrumors newbie

I'll rephrase the OP's question...

I know that the map tiles themselves use much less data than the previous Google maps since they are now vector-based.

However, does using turn-by-turn directions use a lot of data? Is it constantly uploading and downloading as you drive?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    It just uses it as it needs it and for what its needed and then discarded once done.
    You cant save it or predownload it before.

7. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

I have a question too. Does it use less data when the screen is off?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, even less when the phone is off:)

9. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

One of the best things Navigon did was allowing users to download the individual states that you needed instead of automatically installing a couple of GB of data whether you needed it or not.

10. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

The entire TomTom app for the US is 1.5GB. I dont think thats giving up too much space on your iphone to avoid using data. I go without data plans for some months out of the year and this solution works for me.

11. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Here are three Maps that have been mentioned OP that can be used, and not use your data. I'd rather use these than have to use up some of my data.

Tom Tom $39.99 August 21st, 2012 Version 1.11 ( No Data Time )

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u.s.a./id343289842?mt=8

NAVIGON $59.99 ( No Data Time ) Sept 20th, 2012 Version 2.2

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/navigon-north-america/id321506742?mt=8

Garmin $40.00 Version 2.2 Sept 25th, 2012 ( No Data Time )

http://itunes.apple.com/app/garmin-u.s.a./id435490305?mt=8

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There are one or two free apps with offline maps.

13. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I figure once Google Maps will be a separate app, it will be vector based as well. Android users enjoyed vector maps for 2 years already.

For example, when I download Google Map part for offline use, entire NYC metro area is 11mb. That includes Westchester, parts of Long Island and some of NJ. This should give you approximate idea how much data is used by navigation.

14. kauffee macrumors newbie

Again, that's just the map tiles. How much data is used by the turn-by-turn? Is it constantly sending your location through data services, calculating routes, etc? Do the voice instructions get sent as one packet or constantly?

That's what I want to know... I'm not too concerned about the size of the map tiles.

15. Gathomblipoob, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

We used it for a 150 mile trip and only used three megabytes of data.

Also some good info here.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's why I love navigon.
    I only download the 2-3 states that I need and use and if later need I can add or remove states as I go.
    Great feature.

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

One of you were being funny. that was a good question though.

I didn't compare data usage if any change from using navigation in standard view, to with app exited and/or with screen off to just get voice guidance.

18. takeshi74, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Less space != easier. Easier depends on the situation. It's not easier to navigate with no coverage or no data (been there myself) with a solution that doesn't have locally stored map data.

Each person needs to decide what suits that person the best and go with whatever option fills the needs of that person.

The only way to answer that is to monitor usage while using it. How much data you use depends on your specific navigation session. There's no fixed amount of data for all cases. Like any other usage question: depends on your specific usage.

Not really. It's still pulling everything whether the screen is off or not. If the app isn't running you're not going to get voice prompts or anything from the app for that matter.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Well the music app uses less volume if it's muted, so...no?

----------

Exactly, it you have your mail being pushed to the phone it's using data even if you can't "see" it when the screen is off.

20. doasis23 macrumors regular

doasis23

Thank you. I know I worded the question wrong but you answered it.