Do u need screen protectors with iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdsniper7, Sep 20, 2013.

1. mdsniper7 macrumors newbie

this is my first iphone and I am wondering if you need a screen protector. Do the iphones or 5s scratch easy. Thank you, also do they have good screen protectors at the apple store.

2. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

I haven't used a screen protector since my 3GS

3. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I do much it's not so much for the protection but rather the ease of scrolling on the screen. I hate fingerprints and the Power Support Anti-Glare one just feels awesome.....

4. djc6 macrumors 6502

I wish I had used one. I accidentally put an Altoids box in the same pocket as my iPhone 4, and I believe the hinges scratched the hell out of my screen :( I had a screen protector previously applied, but it wouldn't stay on because I couldn't line it up 100%.

5. Erphern macrumors 6502

I'd suggest using a screen protector. I'm not sure whether it's the glass that can be scratched, or whether it's just a coating that's being scratched, but if you're sensitive to micro-scratches you're likely to notice them eventually if you don't use a screen protector.

6. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

I never use one. I only keep my iPhone in my left pocket with nothing else. But, when I was selling mine the other day, I had two small scratches on the front of it. I had never dropped it or brushed it against anything else in my pockets. So, I don't know how it happened. Still, I'm not using one. I hate the glare or shine a screen protector gives.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I haven't used one with either the 4S or the 5 and haven't had a noticeable scratch yet. I don't abuse my phones but do make an attempt to keep it alone in my pocket. It gets it's worst beating at work in the cup holder getting hit with my giant e-cig box and my radio mic. But still no scratches. My wife has had an iPhone 4 for over two years and it is pretty much scratch free spending that time rattling around in her purse. Unless your really hard on your phone or careless I'd say you'd be fine.

8. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Ditto, and even then I only used it for about a day. I just hate the look of them. If you're reasonably careful and use common sense (e.g. no phone in the same pocket as car keys or change, etc.), you should be fine without one.

9. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Most of the ones for the 5 were oddly cut, so I never used one with it. A year later, I can't find a scratch on the screen with heavy usage and a few falls to asphalt, tile, and stone. That isn't to say that accidentally putting it in the same pocket with some keys might not trump all of that.

10. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Yes

I dropped my 4s last week and the glass shattered. Luckily I had a screen protector that held all the shards in place. It's like looking through a spiderweb, especially on the upper third but I still have a working unit that will hold me until my 5s arrives this week.

It's actually kind of funny - a conversation piece and only possible because of the screen protector.

(plus I get a 5s out of it but that isn't a function of the film)

11. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I have never used one on any of my iPhones and have always hated using someone els's phone that had one. It's been a while since I've felt any, bit I've never come across a single screen protector that felt anything like the glass.

I've had an iPhone since the 3GS came out and have never had a scratch. And that includes the back glass on my 4 (1 year) and 4S (2 years) with using only a bumper case the entire time. Just take care of your phone and don't throw it in with your keys and you will be fine.

12. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I suggest you use one. I've had every iPhone and now have the 5s and have always used screen protectors and the screen has always stayed flawless even after a year.

13. NinjaDuck macrumors member

NinjaDuck

Go for the Power support antiglare screen protector. Best screen protector in the market, IMO.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

With these phones I think screen protectors are a waste of money. Changes the feel in all the different types I've used and since I don't have any issues using it naked. Not worth it.

15. abz1981 macrumors 65816

It really depends if your a klutz or not. If your not, then just keep a dedicated Iphone only pocket and you will be fine without a screen protector.

16. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I always yes one. Piece of mine for myself, and the fact of knowing that life happens, like accidents and mistakes. If I can prevent small and hairline scratches, I will.

And for everyone saying theirs doesn't scratch, I've seen plenty if iPhones with hairline scratches, hard to see unless looking at it with the Light source glaring off the screen.

17. navindralr, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

navindralr macrumors member

who asks these questions? It's personal preference.

It will help against scratches which the glass screen WILL get if kept in pocket with coins/keys, or in a hand bag. I have seen it on female owned iPhones countless times.

18. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I haven't ever used one, but I somehow got a small scratch on the screen on my previous 4, and just noticed a much more sizable scratch on the screen of my 4s. Still trying to figure that one out as it always goes into a pocket alone. Anyway, my next phone will have a screen protector on it.

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I use a screen protector. They are cheap and make it easier to clean the screen b/c you don't have to worry about using the wrong cleaner or cloth. Also I've done dumb things before like forgot my phone was on my desk then put a sharpie on top of it b/c I wasn't looking where I put it. Ruined the screen protector - no big deal. But the alternative which have been depressing.

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You can get a good quality screen protector for $5. Why not? The one I have fits perfectly, and you cannot tell its on unless you specifically look for it.

21. jokhva macrumors newbie

I think it depends. If you care about scratches, use protectors.

For my iPhone 5, I haven't used a screen protector. I can tell you that iPhone's screens are not that vulnerable to scratches, but I am not saying they are hard enough to resist any harder things, for example tiny sands in the air.

The screen of my iPhone 5 is scratched over time, most of the scratches can only be seen in strong light. Two or three of them are deeper and can be discerned if you try hard to look.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

You don't "need" one but I like being careless with my phones so I put one on.