Do u really feel apple will place LTE in the iphone 5 ? Is Battery life a concern?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PacificBeach, Jun 23, 2012.

1. PacificBeach, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

PacificBeach macrumors regular

Do you really feel that apple will place LTE in the next iphone?
    It doesn't seem that battery life on LTE has matured to a point where apple is comfortable with adding it to the next iphone. For instance for the ipad, apple had to but a huge battery in the ipad to get decent LTE battery life. The iphone doesn't have room for a huge battery.
    I am guessing apple will skip LTE one more year and add it in the iphone 5S
    What do u think?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Most of the iPad's battery goes to the screen, not the LTE radio.

I have a Lumia 900 and the battery life is the same if not better on LTE than on 3G/4G.

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

To be competitive Apple needs to have LTE on the next iPhone release, they really have no choice. They are absolutely not going to skip it and I'm glad they are going to do it. I have a Lumia 900 and AT&T LTE speeds are phenomenal. Battery life impact is minimal and really no different from 3G.

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

With Verizons new rule mandating that all new smartphones must support LTE. I think LTE in the next generation iPhone is a safe bet.

5. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I would agree too. Especially if Apple are going to allow Facetime over Cellular.

6. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Battery life was bad on the first LTE phones. I've had three since the first few and i've always been able to get a full day.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

If it doesnt have LTE it will be the laughingstock of cell phones. IT will DEFINITELY have LTE /thread

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Good point.

9. Crooks macrumors regular

Yup, battery life on LTE has definitely increased since my HTC thunderbolt days.

As many have stated, Apple will probably try to counter the decreased battery life by increasing the screen size, which will make more room for a bigger battery.

10. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Yes, it will have LTE but how? Many Android manufacturers went with a two chip solution early on. Now their going with Qualcomm's S4 chip which is an integrated cpu/radio. Even Samsung didn't want to do a two chip solution for their S3 with quad core Exynos.

Apple has a similar problem with the A5. The Qualcomm LTE radio is not due till the Fall and it will be a two chip solution which might have a negative impact on battery life. This worked for the iPad because there's room for a big battery.

Will Apple go with the S4 instead? I doubt it.

I'm sure Apple will figure out something. My guess is the iPhone 5 will be bigger than we think to accommodate a larger battery.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Guessing is not good.

The New iPad has a 40nm MDM9600 LTE chip. The only thing it doesn't have to do is voice. 40nm parts are already being replaced for smaller and more power efficient 28nm parts but wait!

Anandtech found that the iPad with LTE can last a full day as a wifi hotspot under certain situations.

Again that's with a part that eats up a lot more juice.

In summary the next iPhone is NOT going to ship without LTE. All the bluster about LTE using up too much power bunk. Apple skipped the first gen LTE parts for size reasons as much as power.

12. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The huge battery had nothing to do with LTE. We're talking around 0.3 watts an hour for a 3G chip and 0.48 watts an hour for a 4G LTE chip, the iPad 3's display consumes a massive 7 watts per hour compared to the iPad 2's 2.7 watts.

We'll definitely see 4G LTE in the iPhone 5, and likely with a 4G chip at 28/32nm which will have better power consumption, perhaps even to the point where it uses the same or even less power than the 3G chip at 40/45nm.

13. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

I am not so sure you are correct, the MDM9600 is in the Galaxy Nexus LTE along with dual core chipset and battery life is horrible.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Try out a galaxy s3 next week and see just how wrong your assumptions are

16. PacificBeach thread starter macrumors regular

17. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

LTE-enabled phones are a representative of a high -end phone (usually). While many high end phones have LTE radios on it, the iPhone is still the only exception of a phone with a 'ahem' 'high-end' price but still with 3G. Or perhaps a fake 4G HSPA+ on AT&T. But HSPA+ on AT&T is good, from what I've heard.

Verizon has promised that its smartphones will be LTE enabled this year. It would be a huge profit loss if Verizon decided not to sell the iPhone just because it doesn't have LTE.

With LTE on the new iPad, I don't see why the new iPhone would not have LTE. As for the battery concerns, there would be workarounds, software or hardware based. Many had good feedback on battery life on iOS 6 beta. The 4S had much power efficient internals that compensated for how much power the A5 chip is going to suck. And I think I've heard that the A5 chip is also quite power efficient as well! (Just contradicted myself :eek:)

The A5X chip on the new iPad is supposed to make its way to the new iPhone. There is no way the new iPhone would suddenly have an A6 or something. Its always been this way. The A5 chip on the iPad 2 made its way into the iPhone although many have said that there would be no space or whatever excuses. Same for the A4 chip. So the A5X is going to make its way into the new iPhone regardless. As for the A5X, its designed for power-efficiency, so I don't see any major issues with battery life. Apple is going to underclock the A5X chip the same as what they did with the A5 chip. Period.

So basically, my prediction is that Apple is going to put the LTE chip in the next iPhone, with the newer LTE chip that is supposed to sip less power, plus the underclocked A5X chip, compensating all that are the power efficient internals, you get a LTE iPhone with more or less good/decent battery life.

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

LTE is a given. Qualcomm has been mass producing the 28nm parts and should be ready for an October launch.

I'm thinking that we're not going to see a smaller version of the A5X simply because there's no significant resolution change that would require a beefier GPU. I'm expecting 32nm A5 clocked higher.

No quad core yet...not sure if it's really needed at this point.

19. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

And the iPhone 4S certainly didn't need the A5 chip either! All it needs is a clocked higher A4 chip or perhaps even a Dual core A4 chip !
    The possibilities are endless. And apple didn't specifically say the A5X is a quad core GPU because it is to drive the pixels- that would kill sales lol. What I wanted to put across is perhaps Apple could put across a underclocked A5X chip.

And another thing: Perhaps they could take away the quad core graphics and put in a quad core CPU + same dual core graphics similar on the 4S. Simply add 2 cores to the processor. All it really needs is performance that triumph the galaxy S3, like how the A5 sort of beaten the S2 based on performance.
    I hope you're not offended. Just giving my views and I welcome any feedback to this.

20. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I agree 32 nm A5. But not clocked higher. Same ~800 MHz as always.

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple's doesn't cater to verizon. Apple doesn't cater to carriers. They love the business but will not bend over backwards for Verizon LTE requirement.

That being said. LTE on sixth gen iPhone is as close to 100% certainty as people guess Verizon would ge the iPhone 4 in early 2011 (when AT&T announced they would move up customers upgrades by as much as 6th months in June 2010 for gsm iPhone 4 launch).

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm guessing 1.2Ghz.

That will give a nice boost to most applications and the power envelope won't rise (see iPad 2 with 32nm A5 lasting more than 10 hours in battery)

iOS 6.0 has some nice power saving modes as well. If the rumors are true and the screen is going to 4" and the phone is slightly larger I suspect we'll get improved battery even with LTE and faster SoC.

Also LTE and battery usage is a bit of a Paradox. Yes the LTE radios take up more power but as with any radio technology the key to battery savings is how quickly you can return the radio to nap.

For example: I'm downloading a 30MB file.

On 3G cellular this takes me 8 minutes.
    On LTE cellular this takes me 2 minutes

While LTE may have higher power consumption it able to quickly download the file 4x faster and go back into nap mode whilst the 3G is still cranking away.

This is why we're moving to faster broadband and baseband chips even if they eat up more power when running full blast.

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yes but keeping it at ~800 MHz conserves even more power. The iPad 2 A5 32 nm is still 1 ghz and gives two more hours battery. I expect close to the same with the new iPhone.

24. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I can see it both ways. In the end it's going to be a balance between performance/battery life as always.

25. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Don't forget the iPhone is rumoured to be coming out with a bigger screen. Perhaps in this instance the A5X may come in to play a role And I don't think Apple would stick with the A5. Consumers like to hear improvements, particularly improvements like jumps from an A5 to a A5X or even an A6. It is NOT assuring from a sales and marketing point.