Do we have any chance of a 17" rMBP during the next refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Feb 26, 2015.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

We know they can build the big screens, as seen on the 27" riMac. Would anyone else love a 17" rMBP? Is there just not enough demand out there?

2. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Well, before it would have been a stupid question, but now it has its sense. After seeing iMac 5K it's all possible. Why the hell would Apple do a 5K iMac since Mac Pro with dual graphics was suposed to be the beast for photo and video editing, cappable of multiple 4K displays/5K displays? I mean, was there a real demand of an iMac cappable of that, having also the Mac Pro? I think no.
    Following the same way, there could be a MBP 17", also seeing that Apple let it clear they can do and drive big retina displays.

Possible? Yes. Probable? Not so much, after ditching it if they came back with a 17" it would be like: "sorry, we f*cked up before so here it goes again!"

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

That's not true - Steve Jobs always said people didn't want phones w/ those big screens. Now look what we have. Apple has PLENTY of times said that a certain idea wasn't good and then done it.

4. venom600 macrumors 6502a

The best way to determine whether or not it's likely is to look at PC makers and see what they are making. No one makes a 17" notebook with anything more than a 1080p screen now.

There are no 17" quad HD, 3k, or 4k screens on the market right now, so Apple would have to have one made specifically for this model like they did for the 15" rMBP. The chances of that are pretty slim, especially given the small market for large notebooks today.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Eh - I suppose that's a fair guideline, and definitely an indicator, but...
    Before the rMBP, nobody else was shipping a display that size at that res.
    Before the iPhone 5, nobody else was shipping a 1136x640 screen (i don't believe anyone else is at this point).

6. venom600 macrumors 6502a

The rMBP 15" is a custom panel, yes. It is also a size that sells very well. The 17" model would start at over $2000 if previous models are to be used as a guide. The sheer cost and limited market appeal of a notebook that large means that the costs of a custom panel (and it would have to be custom since a UHD res screen wouldn't be the proper 16x10 ratio), are probably not worth making.

The iPhone screen isn't a good example because it was used in three different phones that each sold in the tens of millions each, far more than a 17" notebook would.

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Doubt it. They stopped making them. Highly unlikely they would bring back something they got rid of.

8. leman macrumors 604

If the market demands for a 17" model, Apple might introduce one. So far, big laptops are becoming a rarity in the industry (for obvious reasons). There is little point for Apple to develop a laptop they won't make any money with.

P.S. Please, use forum search. This topic comes up literally every week. There are dozens threads on this, with identical messages.

9. Venderious macrumors member

Venderious

Not really alot of people want a 17', I think the chances are fairly small, since its a laptop, which sits on your lap and is made to be portable. You are going to use it as a desktop anyway, so why don't you just buy an iMac?
    17' is just too big and heavy to be even called a laptop.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

In a word NO

As has been pointed out this subject comes up once a week, the answer is always the same.... It looks very unlikely that apple will do a 17 inch laptop again, and it's not just them very few new 17 inch laptops are available, they are rare as rocking horse doo doo these days.

The 15 inch with it's retina screen and scaling for real estate will give you a comparable experience and is much more portable.

11. vbedia macrumors regular

Steve Jobs said that, and let me tell you that it sounds a little presumptuous stating that one knows what everyone wants. Maybe some people but not all. Not everyone wants the same.

Apple have changed they have adapted to the new trend. However, I have my doubts if Apple had released a phone like the iPhone 6 Plus under Steve.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Fearless prediction:

You will not see another Apple 17" laptop again, in your lifetime.

Them days is over for good.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I wouldn't count on it. The 17" wasn't selling well before they ended it, and the trend seems to be smaller computers rather than larger screens.

14. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

They could bring it back, with a retina screen, but market it more like the old pro's. So user replaceable battery,ram and hard drive. For those of us who aren't bothered about having it as thin as possible.

And yeah I know this will never happen, but I can dream. :p:eek:

15. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Yeah, sorry to be rude but Steve Jobs is not now the CEO of Apple so things have changed a lil. The 17" disappeared under Tim Cook command, and I highly doubt they make it again.
    Let's be honest, it's not the same making a product, discontinuing it under the same CEO and making it again, rather than saying "we're not going to do that" and then the next CEO does that.