Do we have to open the box in store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdude2010, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Ok, so I want to send someone to wait in line and pick up my phone from the apple store, but, I don't want them to open up the box or touch the phone. So my question is, does the apple store require you open the box to activate the phone?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

No issue.... unless you get some over zealous "genius" and they go all rambo and open it anyway.

4. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

why not? open it up to check for dead pixels or other issueses.

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Didn't they insist on opening and activating all phones in store last year?

6. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

I'll most definitely check it in the store if I manage to get one on Friday. This time last year I had to travel to another city (we didn't have an Apple Store in Berlin at that time) to buy an iPhone 5. I picked it up and went back to a friend's house. Only then did I open it to find quite a few scuffs and marks down the side. I was so disappointed and I won't let that happen again!

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

activation is automatic

8. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

After build quality issues lat year with the 5, I would check it in store for any dents or scratches

9. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Exactly.

Last year I took a video of opening my 5 in front of the genius and good thing I did! Immediately spotted two big scratches on the chamfered edges out of the box and got a brand new replacement from the genius.

If I would have checked it at home and came back saying "Oh look I have these scratches and I want a replacement" then it would have looked like I dropped my phone and was looking for Apple to fix my mistake.

Check in the store in front of the genius and be happy that you did.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Generally they require that the phone be opened and turned on so they can ensure that it works, activates etc.

And as they might not be selling full price no line you could run into an issue depending on who you are sending. Cause you have to sign terms etc.

your best bet is to get over not having it on the first day and go later when you can do it yourself, or order it online. then you know you will be the first to touch it and there is no chance of issues.