Do we need Applecare +

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by misterjay, Sep 28, 2012.

1. misterjay macrumors regular

to return our phone to Apple for a replacement?

Thanks.

2. Kung macrumors member

You don't need Applecare+ to return it for a replacement.....but if you want the 'express shipment' option (IOW, they send you a replacement first and THEN you send them your phone) without paying $29, you'll want to pay for it.

Some people recommend it, some don't. I've never needed it before, but said "Eh, what the heck" when buying my 5.

I'm glad I did. First one had a faulty home button; called Applecare at about 3 p.m. on Wednesday and I had one AT MY DOOR by 2 p.m. the next day. Not too shabby.

What is shabby, however, is the fact that the Lightning port on my replacement iPhone is faulty. My original iPhone 5 had to darn near be completely disconnected from the Lightning cable to lose a connection with the computer or charger...whereas the one I have now (a re-replacement LOL is on the way) will connect/disconnect at will unless I plug it in and leave it COMPLETELY still.

Still can't complain, though; I've owned 2 iPhones, 2 Mac Minis, an iPad and 2 iPod Nanos and aside from a bad hard drive, this is the first time I've ever had any issues. For my troubles I'm getting sent a free Lightning USB cable. :)

Anyways - had I had to wait for my replacement phone until I sent them my phone, I'd be out a phone for a week or two; that's a no-go for me; and if I wanted to pay $29/incident, that's almost $60. So the $99 I paid was worth it, IMHO.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

No. All iPhones come with a 1 year warranty. AppleCare+ extends it to 2 years and provides coverage for 2 incidents of accidental damage (with a $49 deductible).

4. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I extended it on my imac for 3 years.
    But ip no...

5. brewno macrumors 6502

I will get it because in Canada the contract is for 3 years, so it covers the whole period.

6. misterjay thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry fellas.

I think I asked the correct question but in the wrong form.

Can I return my iPhone 5 at Apple(Faulty WiFi issues, just terrible and no fix for it)and get another one without charge or applecare? Ordered it from AT&T via Radioshack.

I have an Apple store about 10 minutes away from me.

7. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I believe if there is a fault from Apple's side then they can give you a new iPhone at no extra charge even if you don't have AppleCare +.