Do we want another Kennedy in office?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 5, 2008.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

WASHINGTON (AP) — Caroline Kennedy has spoken to New York Gov. David Paterson about the Senate seat that will come open when Hillary Rodham Clinton becomes secretary of state, according to a person familiar with the conversation.

Kennedy reached out to the governor to discuss the Senate seat, according to the Democratic source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the conversation was private. The source would not disclose the details of the conversation.

Kennedy is the daughter of President John F. Kennedy and a niece of brothers Edward and Robert. Robert Kennedy held the New York seat from 1965 until his assassination in 1968.

As a prominent member of the Kennedy clan, Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg is the kind of high-profile, historic figure who could overshadow many other New York politicians hoping to be Paterson's choice.

The governor has said he is in no rush to make a decision, and Clinton is not giving up the seat before she is confirmed as President-elect Barack Obama's secretary of state.

"The governor has not yet reached out to any potential candidates," said Paterson's spokesman, Errol Cockfield. "He has been approached by several candidates. Any discussions related to that selection are private and the governor will not comment about speculation before a decision is made."

Word of the conversation comes days after Kennedy's cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., announced he was not interested in the job — a move that sidesteps any messy interfamily competition.

Whoever Paterson appoints would serve for two years and then have to run in a special election in 2010, along with Paterson and New York's senior senator, Charles Schumer. The candidate would then have to run again in 2012.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5haD2uvobabPn3ZeMiXfTC3vMza6AD94SPV303

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'd be interested in seeing Caroline in office. Since the whole fiasco with Ted, recall that people were more than cozy with the idea of JFK Jr. running for President. Apparently everything loved JFK and RFK.. I doubt she'd run afoul like Ted, so I'd be interested to see how she'd do..

BL.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The Kennedys are like the Bushes and Clintons, career politicians. I would love all of them to go away.
    Should be a law, one politician per family.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If she has good ideas and leadership skills, sure why not.

That being said I have no idea what her views are.

She SHOULDNT get in just for her name tho.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have no problem with it. She has done a lot of good raising money for NYC public schools. Sure, there are NY pols who have paid their dues more than her but it's at the governor's discretion who he appoints. I think she could do a lot of good for NY and would certainly be able to hold the seat in 2 elections in the next 4 years.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If they're good, I really don't give a damn what family they come from.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

+1

If little Jimmy Hitler comes forward as a great leader with good ideas, Id welcome him with open arms.

too soon for a hitler referance?

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Then you realize we wouldn't have had FDR and Teddy in office, right? Let alone Ben and William Harrison..

BL.

9. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Or G W or H C.;)

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

how bout we just agree we want good leaders and not crappy ones?

Who cares what their name is.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I would totally vote for a Jimmy Hitler/Michael Bin Laden presidential ticket if I thought they were good candidates.

12. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Perhaps we should return to allowing the State Legislators appointing who will represent our states...That being said, perhaps when a Senator resigns his/her position in the Senate, the first looser (in their senatorial election)should then have the option of taking over that seat.. Since the first looser sure as heck got more votes than whoever the Governor wants appoint..Then the vacating Senator wont be that inclines to vacate as their seat would then go to the opposite party...Just my 2 cents...

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I thought all that tea was wasted to protest the Monarchy??

Why does the States continually reward families beyond their abilities?

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

With her baby fat ... she only 28!! ;)

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought she was a couple years older by now, oh well.

17. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I've always had a lot of respect for Caroline. She's the one Kennedy that would get my vote for president.

mt

18. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

not ted kennedy if that's what you're getting at

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The U.S. totally needs a royal family. Obviously there is a deep need to swoon over a first family and talk endlessly about how they dress. This would seem especially vital in the US where the "family values" mantra holds a disturbing power over people's minds.

In Sweden where we have a royal family, there is absolutely zero interest in the family of the prime minister. Most people barely know the name of his wife, or if they have kids and how many. If we dumped the king and became a republic, it would take about 2 hours before the prime minister's family was suddenly on every tabloid cover.

So in case anyone wondered why all these constitutional monarchies keep their inbred royal families around, there's your answer... they're decoys. A cartoonish family of idiots, sort of like a flesh version of the Simpsons, who can attract the attention of other idiots who for some reason need to keep track of what some family other than their own is doing.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

You mean the Kennedys.:p

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well I guess the Kennedys are the closest thing you'll get, but they're all pretty smart... a royal family needs to be borderline retarded. In Sweden for example, they're exactly like the Simpsons; the balding father, the mother with the big hair, two daughters and one son. The father is a bumbling fool, the son is a mischievous little bastard, the youngest daughter doesn't say much and the eldest daughter... well, I wish I could say she's clever like Lisa to make the picture complete, but she's actually thick as a brick.

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I fail to see how two people who met in law school, and then married, make their entire family "career politicians".

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

24. Queso macrumors G4

Tell you what. As you're so disenchanted with them, we'll swap. You can have the Windsors :D