Do y'all use HDR?

jester0723

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I played around with HDR a little in a moderately-lit room, and from what I can tell, it basically prevents over-exposure from lights and reflections. I'm not sure whether I like it better or not so I figured I'd ask.

If you do use it, do you keep the extra non-HDR photo? Seems like a bit of a waste of space to save two of every image.

BrandonJay21

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2003
Orlando, FL
It's great when taking pictures outside on a very bright day. It captures both the bright areas and the shady areas. I only keep the better of the two pics.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I guess I'll keep it on and go back through it from time to time and delete the worse-looking picture. Can't hurt to at least have the option for HDR.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I use it when its necessary, but if its not I don't since it'll ruin the picture. (Kind of obvious but I thought I'd chime in).

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I use it pretty regularly. Depending upon the photo and my intended use, i will sometimes keep both the regular one AND the HDR the picture as well.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I use it, but im not a huge fan because I don't really see a big difference and its annoying to have 2 copies lol, and also annoying to just have one to choose from haha

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I hate taking a potentially good pic only to see the lighting is off, so I have it on 80% of the time and as said above. I keep the best picture taken between the regular and HDR

jester0723

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
I use it when its necessary, but if its not I don't since it'll ruin the picture. (Kind of obvious but I thought I'd chime in).
How does it ruin the picture? Sorry if this is an obvious question but this is my first iPhone. Coming from a blackberry, it's amazing to have a camera that takes worthwhile pictures at all :rolleyes:

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
How does it ruin the picture? Sorry if this is an obvious question but this is my first iPhone. Coming from a blackberry, it's amazing to have a camera that takes worthwhile pictures at all :rolleyes:
If you take a picture of a scene that isn't high contrast it will either brighten or darken the entire scene when it tries to process the HDR. It's usually not by much but it does happen.

A high contrast shot would be something like an interior shot where a window is visible. Our eyes can see both the inside and whats outside the window but cameras don't have that level of dynamic range so either the interior will be dark, or whats outside the window will be blown out. With HDR, you can capture both.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
If you take a picture of a scene that isn't high contrast it will either brighten or darken the entire scene when it tries to process the HDR. It's usually not by much but it does happen.

A high contrast shot would be something like an interior shot where a window is visible. Our eyes can see both the inside and whats outside the window but cameras don't have that level of dynamic range so either the interior will be dark, or whats outside the window will be blown out. With HDR, you can capture both.
Great explanation -- now I finally understand how it works!

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden

Thats actually pretty useful. Never thought of it that way. Thanks! :D

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
HDR function as it applies to the iphone is about automation helping its simple camera function handle less than ideal shooting conditions; something that an ordinary point and shoot deals with in a superior way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.