Do you agree with AT&T that a Verizon iPhone is 'life in the slow lane'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Jan 10, 2011.

1. thermal macrumors regular

"The iPhone is built for speed, but that's not what you get with a CDMA phone. I'm not sure iPhone users are ready for life in the slow lane."

Agree?

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

Wait til tomorrow to decide, it very well could be LTE.

My Droid2 gets 1.8 Mbps down which is good enough for me so Id be happy with that on a VZW iPhone

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well I have an original Droid, now off contract (which I cannot wait to ditch the second the iPhone is announced) and from experience using Verizon's 3G I can say that it is true that it is not the fastest around...I have done the speed tests occasionally and the speeds range from 800Kb to 1.5Mb depending on the day or time of day.

What I can say is that the VZ network is solid as a rock where I live, and I am more than happy to have a slightly less speedy network than a really unreliable one but faster which is the case with AT&T in the NY metropolitan area where I am.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'll take the slower iPhone over the lack of service on AT&T. My iPhone on AT&T experienced faster download times than my Droid X does but the probability of being in a place where I can take advantage of AT&T's faster download speeds was lower.

6. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

At&t network is just as reliable as Verizons.. At&t is just faster 80% of the time.. I travel alot.. the only places i have problem with At&t is at Atlanta airport, i have to switch to edge.. and at Miami heat games... I'm in memphis tn right now.. i have 2 bars of 3g and im getting 2 mbps down... can't complain about that..

but unless Verizon gets an LTE iphone 4.. then i agree that an iphone with verizon is life in the slow lane

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

across the US Verizon is slower than Att, so yes I do agree with them

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

As far as my experience currently is with AT&T, I already live "life in the slow lane"..and many times, life in no lane (especially at work).

9. alejovh1 macrumors regular

I'll take the slower iphone on verizon over the crappy ATT coverage any day!:D

10. darlenea macrumors member

Happy with Verizon's coverage

Well, I travel with family - I have Verizon and my family members have AT&T and Sprint. I am the only one that seems to always have coverage - they are having their friends call my phone to get a hold of them. I will be happy to have an iphone on Verizon. :)

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I took a trip from Minnesota to Arizona a few weeks ago. My masterful plan was to create a wifi hotspot with my Android phone on AT&T during the drive, big mistake. 50% of the time I had no data access, of the remaining 50%, almost all of that was EDGE access. Luckily I had my Chrome Book (CR-48) with me which comes with Verizon network access. I had network connectivity almost everywhere AT&T didn't work or was too slow.

But where I live the AT&T is quite nice, it was just poor on the road trip.

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'd rather have the slow lane than the stop and go traffic.

Verizon should pick up my analogy and turn it into a commercial:

Verizon is a Porsche.
    AT&T is a Ferrari with kid in the passenger seat yanking on the handbrake every few miles.

13. chriszzz macrumors 6502

No.

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Anecdotal.

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm sure there's going to be hundreds of speed comparison videos on youtube as soon as the verizon iphone is released to the public.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

It is a trade-off. Slower data speeds for better coverage/reception. Personally, if the iPhone doesn't come with LTE tomorrow, you might as well wait for the next iPhone or Motorola Bionic.

17. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Got a chuckle out of the bad service cited at Miami Heat games. I've been to some Washington Caps games at the "Verizon Center" and the VZW service there is awful.

I live in Roanoke, Virginia and AT&T service here is awful once you are out of the cities. AT&T here is "life in the no-service" lane.

YMMV.

18. andymodem macrumors 6502a

No complaints with my ATT service here in the Baltimore metro area. :)

photo.PNG

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You're right. Consumer Reports is totally anecdotal.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The reason why I’m not switching to the Verizon iPhone;)
    Verizon’s average download speed is around 800Kbps.
    Switching from AT&T to Verizon would be like switching from broadband to dial-up

Attached Files:

21. RenoG macrumors 65816

Don't get caught up in that business hype. Its all marketing which have more to do with their $bottom$ end. Choose which service fits your needs for the money you're willing to spend and call it the day and go walk your dog.

22. malevolant macrumors 6502

I know it's a longshot, but with Verizon's new LTE being deployed around the same time as this rumored iPhone I wouldn't be surprised if a new LTE iPhone was released tomorrow. Then again I'm just expecting a "Hooray iPhone on verizon" announcement.

Either way Sloth speed > CDMA iPhone speed.

23. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Speak for yourself I live in Southern New Hampshire and this is what I get to work with

[​IMG]

and this is actually a lot faster than the average

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I actually was speaking for my own experience that's all:D
    What works for me may not necessarily work for you, and vice versa. The point is that if a different carrier works for you, then more power to you, switch to them and be done with it. There is not one carrier that works best for everybody.

25. Shodai80 macrumors newbie

Living in downtown Chicago, I cannot WAIT for Verizon. AT&T might as well not exist where I live, its constantly on edge, the voice quality is so compressed and awful, and forget about going into work in a high rise. Useless.

Bring on Verizon.