Do you agree with breeding animals for use as pets?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applefan289, Mar 19, 2012.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I personally think it is a wasteful concept in general. To breed animals only for use as pets creates life simply to keep ours entertained.

Also, the supplies and materials to keep these animals in good shape (let's hope they're in good shape) is wasteful for the environment.

Many people consider their pets family members, which I completely understand, and if you have a pet, that's definitely the way to treat them. I am just questioning the whole concept of animals bred only for the purpose of being a pet.

However, I feel the concept of breeding is much better than the concept of capturing already-established wildlife, like when they capture fish in the ocean and take them out of their natural habitat.

I feel that in a truly natural world, there would be just wildlife, with the exception of some livestock and related animals to feed the population.

Of course, if everything were truly natural, there would not be KFC chicken slaughterhouses, but rather organically-grown chicken.

What's your take on this?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm of the mindset to adopt first. I understand people want specific breeds and things but there are plenty of homeless animals that would love to come home with someone.

I guess its a good thing that my apartment doesn't allow non-aquarium pets or else I'd have 4 cats and a bunny right now since I see them in the homeless pet section at Petco.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'll have to consult my Best Friend on that one.

4. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I think in a controlled manner it's fine.

But at the same time we are obviously over populated with dogs and cats (to talk about two common names) and looking into a shelter would be a good choice. I think if people started adopting from shelters then part-time breeders would slow and in theory more pets would survive and find good homes.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ideally, people would adopt from the many animals waiting in shelters.

Ideally.

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't see a problem with it. As long as they're not being bred for ill use or blood sport.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yep, that's what i did. I think the whole "pure bred" mentality is ridiculous. They think it makes the dog's future personality and health problems more predictable, but you can't predict the future behavior of any living thing. I got my dog when he was 10 weeks old from my local SPCA. He's three now and he's been nothing but a joy to have in our lives, and he is definitely a member of the family. Feels like he loves us more and more every day. He's half lab half pit bull and was rescued in Tennessee and brought to jersey with his liter. The odds were stacked up against him but he turned out to be one lucky dog!

Attached Files:

10. leekohler, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. However, my current cat is a siamese. I got her from a friend about five years ago. I love her temperament and loyalty so much, that I think I would like to have another siamese after she has passed.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Gotta say, I miss your cat.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She's so damn perfect, it's ridiculous. That's why you never see too many of then in shelters. People who know cats do NOT give up their siamese kitties.

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I should also add that shelters are the more economical option too. I paid $275 for my puppy and that included neutering, microchipping, and his first round of vaccines. Best $275 i ever spent. And i would rather have my money go to a shelter and not a breeder.

Unfortunately there's no breed like that with dogs, the diversity of dogs in shelters is astonishing. Everything from pit bulls to designer toy poodles. Of course, pits have it the worst.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I had two siamese kitties as a kid. Best damn cats ever.

15. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I think OP is asking what are your thoughts on animal domestication, rather than what are your thoughts on puppy mills.

As for how I feel about pets all I can say is "I like turtles."

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Agreed. I <3 siamese cats.

Attached Files:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep.

Not quite what we're talking about. ;)

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Same here. I remember when we adopted our dog from the humane society way back in 1996, it cost something like $100 for everything. She was the sweetest dog you'd ever met. Sadly, she died last year and I miss her every day.

I'd adopt another puppy from a shelter in a heartbeat if I didn't work all day. It would be irresponsible to leave a dog locked up in my apartment 8+ hours a day. But if I could, I wouldn't even think twice about adopting another dog.

Missouri became the capital of meth labs and puppy mills (wouldn't surprise me if many of them were combined) and some of the images you see when they're broken up are just heartbreaking. The conditions there are terrible. I don't think people realize just how bad they are when they don't see a major puppy mill bust leading the local news every couple months.

19. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

:( that painful, i can't even imagine. But you know what? I can only hope my dog lives until 15 years old, that's a good long life. My heart will be shattered to pieces when i have to go through that, but hopefully at least not for another 12 years.
    Yeah, luckily when my dog was a puppy my whole family was home a lot. These days i definitely would have no time for a puppy. We're out of the house a lot more. Sometimes my dog has to be alone for a few hours, usually no more than 7 hours. Luckily he's very low maintenance now. He's pretty big, big dog =big bladder! And when we do get home he gets plenty of attention. :D
    Dogs are good people.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No need to breed pets or capture them from the wild - There are plenty of animals in the SPCA.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If the absence of domestication defines a "truly" natural world, it's been a long, long time since such that sort of place existed.

Domestication of dogs first occurred about 14-30,000 BC; the domestication of sheep, cats, and goat at 8500BC. [source]

See also: Dog domestication a 'natural' process, researchers say

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

My first dog was from the shelter. My first cat was from a breeder. I enjoyed both, they are back in kansas though. They liked the outdoors too much for me to bring them. Plus my dog isnt allowed.

23. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

And honestly, who even needs a researcher to tell them that? Anyone who has a dog knows that there is something very natural about the bond between dogs and humans. Which is why the current overpopulation of animal shelters and pet abuse in general is disgraceful. I think people who intentionally breed dogs just make it worse. And get your pets spayed and neutered people!

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

All of our greyhounds were rescued. We had two at one time. One was given to us from my moms friend when she moved and didn't have the room to let a greyhound stretch their legs. She was very smart and very independent for a dog( since dogs are pack animals). The other we rescued from an abuser. She suffered from kidney problems and constant fear of thunderstorms due to the abuse. And she wasn't the brightest bulb either. She would go through a fence, but then when she wanted to go through it again, she would stand there asking for help as she couldn't figure it out. She eventually would. She was so cute though.

Sadly, we had to put both of them down on the same day. :(

I always swear that our current greyhound is a reincarnation of both of our previous greyhounds. She has traits from both of them. She is smart, and yet she can be dumb. She can be independent, but dependent as well.

I hate puppy farms and I personally like rescuing dogs as they always show you the most affection and loyalty for saving their lives.

25. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I think that as long as you treat them well, having pets is a wonderful thing. It teaches kids to take care of animals, to certain point makes them more responsible. And above all, they truly become part of the family. I dread the day my Golden dies, which is nearing since he's already 10yo.

Well, yes, but if that was the case, humanity would have never reached this size. You can't keep our current population with only organically-grown food.

Turtles are great! I have a 21yo turtle in my house. Just last week she had to have surgery and had to take her daily to the vet to receive medication. I swear, my whole family thought I was crazy for spending so much in the turtle, but I just couldn't let her die.

Tho, the way they gave me the turtle I'm sure it was illegal. She was way too young, and they gave them to the whole school. Most of them died within the first month. So far mine is the only one still alive.:):(