Do you agree with plastic surgery (for looks)?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by applefan289, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Do you agree with plastic surgery (for looks)?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. No

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It depends. If it is to correct an abnormality- sure.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Unless its for facial reconstruction or some other medical reason, I don't really see the point.
    Edit- if what above poster said, then maybe.

4. 184550 Guest

Sans disfigurement from an accident(s), birth defects or other medical necessity?

No.

5. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

It's not really a question of "agreeing" with it. If people want to it, and are willing to pay for it, then fair enough, each to their own (although I don't think it should be offered on the NHS for anything other than correcting abnormalities). Personally, I don't see the point, and would never get plastic surgery for purely cosmetic reasons.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Any kind of surgery is awful and requires recovery time. Why someone would go through that unnecessarily is beyond me.

7. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Agree with it?

I don't think it should be outlawed or anything. I worry about people who feel compelled to get plastic surgery to conform to an ideal or look forever young -- about their sense of self esteem and how much it's rooted in their appearance; and about the social pressures that push them to it. I especially question the need of young women to get boob jobs -- as if they're measuring their self-worth by their sexual appeal. (That does not apply to mastectomy patients who get implants in order to feel "whole" again.)

On the flip side, I had a friend in high school who had an *unusually* large and rather lumpy nose that she was very self-conscious about. When she graduated she got plastic surgery to change its shape, and afterward she sort of "bloomed" and became much more confident in social situations. I wouldn't characterize that choice as "shallow", and it did change her life.

8. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Wouldn't do it myself or encourage other's to do it. We all have some level of vanity but I do my best to modulate it.

That being said I don't find anything morally reprehensible about plastic surgery. If a nose job makes you a more happy and confident person than who am I to tell you you've made the wrong choice?

EDIT: For example I like tattoos, they're un-necessary very slightly dangerous to get, but I like them and am planning to get one soon. You could be judgmental about that choice if you really wanted, but why would you waste your time?

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

I wouldn't do it, most likely. But if I start getting old or something and I have money and want to look young again and the surgery will actually work as advertised? Depending on my priorities in life I'd probably be ok with doing it.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

For people who are disfigured: hell yes, for they are the minority who suffer the greatest discrimination in pretty much every society.

For average people trying to chase some ideal of attractiveness: hell no, for we should be devoting medical resources to people who actually need it.

11. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Do I agree with it? Not quite sure what you're asking here...
    1) I would never do it myself.
    2) I would never allow my children to do it. (Outside of reconstruction type circumstances)
    3) I would never deny someone else's right to do it.
    4) I would never support legislation outlawing it.
    5) I would never support legislation that required public payment for it.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Sure. Because it's none of my business what makes someone more comfortable in their own skin. Not everyone who goes under the knife is a psychological mess. Sometimes people just have a feature they dislike and if sorting it out surgically gives them more confidence then that's a positive in my mind.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That or repairing work after surgery. For example for women who had breast cancer, to replace the breast and make it look normal again.

14. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Why not? If it is something that will make you look better in your own eyes go ahead and do it. It shouldn't be done to try and look like a model or anything. Just to improve on one's self.

I would do it if I had something I didn't like about myself. I'm perfectly content with the way I look though.

PS. I do not look down on anyone that does it. I have a really good friend with a somewhat larger nose. I hear people we know mutually talk about her nose all the time. It's evil and cruel. But she is comfortable with her nose, if she wanted to do it she would have. Props to her ;) But if she were to one day decide to get a nose job I would not stand in the way.

15. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I feel similarly to this...

At least while they were minors. Once they're adults and paying for it themselves, I can't make their choices for them.

Again, I might make exceptions to (5) for reconstructive purposes. In fact, some disfigurements that require plastic surgery for reconstruction (e.g. cleft palate) can cause medical complications if not addressed surgically. In other cases, such as severe burn scarring that limits joint mobility, plastic surgery can be the difference between the patient being dependent on others for basic needs vs. a productive member of society.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

OMG somebody who talks sense. I agree 100%. :)

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

It seems the women who are already good looking tend to get too much plastic surgery and make themselves ugly.

The people who need plastic surgery never end up getting it. What a shame.

On a serious note, we probably see people every day that had some plastic surgery and never know it. (with the exception of boob jobs)

18. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Right. When they're 'children' is the only time I can 'allow' them to do anything. After that, it's up to them!

Keep in mind the OP was asking specifically about surgery "(for looks.)"

19. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

For proper medical reasons (corrective, reconstructive etc), yes absolutely and happy for it to be covered by the NHS.

For pure cosmetic reasons, not something I would do but if others want to then fine. Provided it is not paid for by the NHS.

20. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

People here seem to think that people who are disfigured get plastic surgery. That isn't really the case. Plastic surgery is for people who want to make themselves look better, get nose jobs, whatever. If you're disfigured (like me), they'd rather use your real skin and bones to get things done. There's nothing plastic about most of those procedures, and they take YEARS for you to have done and cost you a heck lot more.

Now would I get plastic surgery? No. It's a complete waste of money. There's more important things to do with that kind of money, like remodeling your house, or traveling the world.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What business is it of mine what others do to themselves?

22. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure "for looks" was added to the thread title after the fact. ;-)

23. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

I couldn't care less about what people do to their own bodies as long as I am not paying for it.

24. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

This about sums it up for me as well.

25. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Actually, there is very much "plastic" in those procedures and it has nothing to do with the materials normally referred to as "plastic."

Plastic surgery began as reconstructive surgery (originally to help injured soldiers).

Michael