Do you all think grid UI is here to stay forever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meechy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. meechy macrumors 6502

The interface on the iPhone looks old and tired now and is in dire need of an overhaul. But we are on iOS 6 now and it still looks the same as it did when the original iPhone was released back in 2007.

Y'all think it safe to say that apple has little or no plans for an UI overhaul?

Me personally i'm sick of it but have invested to much money into the Apple ecosystem to switch over to something else now.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Mac UI - Virtually unchanged for 28 years.
    iPhone UI - Now 5 year old.

I don't know, but what do the odds on those numbers look like to you?

3. Axne1 macrumors member

Axne1

I actually hate widgets, and oversized clocks. Asking Apple to change their app layout is lke asking Nike to change the Swoosh.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I cant see a complete overhaul. Upgrades and additions yes but not a complete redesign.
    You dont mess or change something that sells like crazy.

5. meechy thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?? :rolleyes:

6. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

7. Sensamic macrumors 68030

The new screen in the iPhone 5 wil only be taller and not wider, revealing that one more line of icons will appear per screen. This new screen will stay for another 5 iPhones.

So yes. There will be no UI changes sadly.

8. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Exactly.

I love the way Apple keeps it's UI consistent. I use Windows at work (not by choice) and the regular revamps of the look and feel of the OS, not to mention the changes in Office, are confusing and irritating, even if they look pretty for a while. With the Mac and iOS, everything stays pretty much where it was.

I will concede that the incremental refinements Apple does make sometimes arrive long after the need for improvement is obvious.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

For the most part, OSX hasn't changed (visually) from it's inception over 11 years ago. Slight changes to the graphics here and there to update the UI, but it's the same basic set up... with the major overhauls done behind the scenes. I don't see any reason for iOS to be any different.

10. Greg. macrumors 6502

Greg.

Is there a graphical user interface that works better for touch screen devices? I don't think so at the moment. Icons are the quickest way humans can recognise an app compared to text. If Apple finds a better solution that is more efficient I'm sure it'll be implemented. I think Apple's use of larger icons is better than Android for example:

[​IMG]

11. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

to be fair, that isn't generic android.

that's one of HTCs horrible overlays

12. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

No, asking Apple to change the Apple is like asking Nike to change the Swoosh.

And now with Apple making OS X and iOS more alike than ever, I wouldn't expect radical changes in the iOS UI.

13. burnside macrumors 6502

I have no idea when it will change, but I do see a change in the future. If you have 8 pages of apps on your device all filled with icons, you are wasting your time trying to find and finally choose the app you wish to open. I think this is one area that can be improved and ultimately will.

Another part that I think should be changed sooner rather than later is settings for each app. I think the settings for each app should be present within the opened app rather than inside system settings.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not going to change anytime soon. there is no reason to, it works, and afaik there really isn't a better alternative. do some tweaks need to happen? yes. and hopefully those will happen sooner rather than later.

15. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Worst analogy ever. Ever.

And you don't HAVE to use widgets on Android. They are OPTIONS. Something Apple is clearly against.

I would LOVE the option to use widgets and be able to arrange icons on the screen how I see fit, including leaving spaces blank. And not having EVERY app icon on homescreens.

iOS looks like it's made for children. Ease of use is obviously a great reason as to why so many of the device is sold, but it would be nice to have some more advanced options.

16. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

It's not like that and that's a horrible analogy. Asking Nike to change their iconic swoosh logo would be like asking Apple to change their iconic apple logo not the app layout.

17. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

I know back in the days when I was an iphone Dork, I loved lockinfo, especially the home screen option, they could do something like that....

18. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i would have liked a new lock screen.

the icons i don't mind, but the lock screen does get updated even in OSX.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Five long years and iOS6 proves that Apple has no intention of changing the iPhone's GUI. Ever. Might as well get over it now.

They could do widgets (that you could turn off if you don't like them)
    They could do themes (that you could turn off if you don't like them)
    They could do live wallpapers (that you could turn off if you don't like them)
    They could do live icons (that you could turn off if you don't like them)
    They could do a rotating home screen to landscape (that you could turn off if you don't like it)
    etc, etc, etc.

It's obvious now that Apple is long done making changes to the iPhone's GUI. Good or bad, at least we know it's going to remain fairly static from now on. We've reached nirvana, friends, this is as good as it's going to get.

20. sixteen12 macrumors regular

Just equate it to OSX
    OS 10.0 Cheetah [​IMG]

OS 10.8 Mountain Lion
    [​IMG]

The same stands for Windows XP vs 7...(lets not get into Windows 8)

Pretty much the same visually, but more refined. That's 8 iterations over 11 years. Apple will continue refining the look, but grid off apps is mostly here to stay.

Will widgets be added? Probably not, maybe you can have some in the notification centre (more 3rd party ones) or in the Spotlight area.
    Themes? Doubtful
    Live wallpapers? I doubt it, it just consumes battery for no gain. Do you know any Android users who use it outside showing people?
    Live Icons? Definitely, maybe.
    Rotating Home screen? Highly doubtful. What would be gained from this?

21. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

[​IMG]

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Forever is a long time, but it's not going to change on a whim